YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

over-locking knees.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

huishan
Posted 2009-08-27 8:55 AM (#117957)
Subject: over-locking knees.

heys guys, is there a possibility that we can overlock our knees, and cause pre-long soreness in the muscles just above the knees? it is not the entire quadriceps, just above the knee. or could it be new habits, new occupation etc? the area which i have described has happened to me, and it has been for about 4-5 days.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-08-27 12:34 PM (#117958 - in reply to #117957)
Subject: Re: over-locking knees.

Are you sure it's muscle soreness? And if so, does it feel sore the way you might after lifting weights, or does it feel strained?
huishan
Posted 2009-08-27 12:58 PM (#117959 - in reply to #117957)

hey duffy. it feels "sour" dont exactly know how to describe it. in my country now, its the wet season (not winter) with lots of rain and winds. so i was thinking could it be because of that. or could it be because i overlocked (dont know if it is possible.)

Posted 2009-08-27 2:48 PM (#117960 - in reply to #117957)

If it IS muscle soreness, then that should be ok. You can NEVER use your quadriceps muscles too much! But make sure next time that you are using your ENTIRE quadriceps (all 4 muscles), not just that little bit right above your knee. That should make it easier. If you are relying on just one little muscle, then yeah, you might strain that one a little bit. A little ice might help. You might just have to experiment for a while to figure out which muscles need to get involved in "locking the knee".

Not sure though, cause can't see what you are doing...
veggiepose
Posted 2009-08-27 3:53 PM (#117964 - in reply to #117957)
Subject: RE: over-locking knees.

A little over a year ago, I hurt my knee hiking. In class, I was still doing as I was told and locking it. It never got any better and was very painful. I could barely do any of the standing poses, and forget about Standing Forehead to Knee, my best posture. Finally, one of the greatest teachers (and human beings for that matter) told me that eventhough it's in the dialog to "lock your knee, lock your knee, lock your knee," we should always keep a little micro bend in it at all times. It still took a long time for the knee to heal, but her advice was a godsend to me. Now I'm back to putting that forehead on my fomerly sore knee, and it feels great.
huishan
Posted 2009-08-28 10:04 AM (#117974 - in reply to #117957)

i understand that you have to use the whole quadriceps to lock the knee. but somehow i feel like i cant use the whole quadriceps!!! how do you use that?! i have been using so much of the little muscles just above the knee!

Posted 2009-08-28 5:06 PM (#117985 - in reply to #117974)

in order to access the full potential of the quadriceps muscle group, others need to get in on the action.
lets have a look at the knee...
of course, there is the thigh/quadriceps. you flex it, you lift it, you make it tight.
fairly simple.
then there is the kneecap.
it goes along with the quadriceps, it is a good indicator of whether you are lifting or not. comparing the position of the inner and outer kneecap can be a clue as to which side is tighter, which is looser, stronger, etc...
and then there is the shin.
the top of the shin constitutes the lower edge of the knee, and here in often lies the problem.
in our zealousness to flex the hell out of the thigh and pull it up, we often end up pulling the shin bone (and even the ankle) backwards. if you look at many standing bows and standing forehead to knee, you can see how the shin bone pulls back, and the ankle collapses posteriorly.
so what to do?
look in the mirror from the side. see how your shin bone relates to the ankle and the thigh.
in many many people, that ankle needs to flex forward, and this will angle the shinbones properly underneath the thigh (eventually).
it is not obvious work, and it may take work outside of class to have the time to find the proper actions.
if you get the shin and ankle into position, it is likely your quadriceps will work more and the knee will lock properly without hyperextension
huishan
Posted 2009-08-29 11:45 AM (#117992 - in reply to #117957)

thanks dhanurasana! quite a lot to digest though!

Posted 2009-08-29 5:48 PM (#117999 - in reply to #117957)

good thing you've got the rest of your life....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)