YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meditation is hard!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Fenix
Posted 2009-09-12 1:11 PM (#118301)
Subject: Meditation is hard!

Will I ever learn meditation?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
prana_guy
Posted 2009-09-12 1:44 PM (#118302 - in reply to #118301)
Subject: Re: Meditation is hard!

You will if you want to, if you persist and if you find a teacher who suits you.
Meditation isn't really 'hard'. We just make it so because we won't let go of the noise in our minds and our need to respond and to analyse.

Find a good teacher. Don't try to learn online or from a book.

You'll never regret learning it once you have. It can change your life :-)

Good luck!
Fenix
Posted 2009-09-12 1:50 PM (#118303 - in reply to #118302)

First, thank u for replying, second what teacher and where from :ss?
Shakuhachi
Posted 2009-09-12 2:47 PM (#118304 - in reply to #118303)

Part of meditation is patience, and don't expect anything...just rest attentively.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-19 8:06 PM (#118466 - in reply to #118301)
Subject: RE: Meditation is hard!

Extreme Veteran

Namaste  Fenix,
Meditation is the 7th step of Ashtanga Yoga. Learn this ancient technique to get control over the mind. prana_guy is right, find a qualified Meditation teacher and learn from him/her. I wish you good luck

Fenix
Posted 2009-09-20 1:24 PM (#118501 - in reply to #118301)

Do you mean like taking courses of meditation?
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-20 3:18 PM (#118504 - in reply to #118301)

Extreme Veteran

Well, it would be fine if you could do a Meditation course or workshop.
camilobuitrago
Posted 2009-09-20 10:43 PM (#118513 - in reply to #118301)

I learned meditation in a meditation retreat, I think is the best way to start as you get enough mental strength to continue practicing.

There are other things that make meditation easier like doing yoga asanas, what you eat and following a moral code of conduct. With time and practice your mind becomes calm so meditation will be easier.

Edited by camilobuitrago 2009-09-20 10:46 PM
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-20 11:11 PM (#118514 - in reply to #118513)

Extreme Veteran

camilobuitrago - 2009-09-20 10:43 PM

I learned meditation in a meditation retreat, I think is the best way to start as you get enough mental strength to continue practicing.

There are other things that make meditation easier like doing yoga asanas, what you eat and following a moral code of conduct. With time and practice your mind becomes calm so meditation will be easier.

Thanks for sharing with us. This is the way I was talking about to learn things perfectly. Any Meditation Workshop or Retreat if you attend you will have a complete idea; you will get a complete guidance about everything related to Meditation.
Namaste!
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-20 11:14 PM (#118515 - in reply to #118301)

Extreme Veteran

By the way camilobuitrago, which Meditation Retreat you attended?
Thanks for sharing with us.
Namaste!
Ram
Posted 2009-11-14 2:00 PM (#119447 - in reply to #118301)

meditation teaches you to meditate. Of course read some books take some courses. But drop your expectations. Be still and attentive. And just keep doing it daily.

Posted 2009-11-14 5:25 PM (#119449 - in reply to #119447)

Ram - 2009-11-14 11:00 AM

meditation teaches you to meditate. Of course read some books take some courses. But drop your expectations. Be still and attentive. And just keep doing it daily.

Excellent!

Meditation is quiet observation. In a hectic world, that takes practice.

I think that books, videos, courses, intensives etc on meditation are all kind of missing the point and often just another way to separate a sucker from his/her money. Meditation is simple (although not easy). It requires practice as we need to learn how to be quiet and observe without comment, explanation, judgement, attachment, condemnation, comparison, identification, memory or desire. You learn these skills through repetition (practice), not from something external.

As long as you are trying to achieve or attain something, you are not observing what is, you are trying to make what "is" into what "should be", make the actual into the imagined. That is self delusion, not self knowledge. That takes you away from reality, not better in tune with it.
peterpandoer
Posted 2009-12-20 8:37 AM (#120101 - in reply to #118301)

Hey, it is hard to stop mind, but to try isnt. If you cant focus on a simple thing like Aum, try a longer mantra like Gayatri. You can even start chanting it out loud and then gradually take it inside. And then end with a more simple thing to focus on. Any variations along these lines allows you to adapt your meditative practice to your initial state of calmness, so you never have to :

Anyhow, there is a lot to say and a good teacher is helpful. You may get some more insight from this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3HWFxk6TIw

Ram Ram,

Peter
seeker83
Posted 2009-12-21 2:48 AM (#120117 - in reply to #118301)

I've made a huge improvement with my meditation using this meditation program:

Free Demo
http://www.stopanxietyhq.com/projectmeditation/freedemo.php

I find it really helpful especially when I get off of work. It helps me mentally relax and surprisingly you can feel it on a physical level. I highly recommend downloading the free demo! You will be surprised how well it works.

cerelyea
Posted 2009-12-27 6:32 PM (#120252 - in reply to #118301)

I've been meditating as a way to deal with anxiety. I've been doing it about 4 times a week for 20 minutes. I'm just doing breathing meditation, basically I sit with my eyes closed and try to keep my attention focused on my breath. I don't know if it's helping me at all but it seems like I may be getting better at it. It is still the hardest thing to do but I enjoy it because it's a little time out from watching the kids. My husband watches them for me. I'm going to keep doing it but I don't think I've really mastered it. I was reading one of Jon-Kabat Zinn's books and he said to try breathing meditation for a couple of years so it must be difficult to learn if it takes years. I've been doing it since October and here it is December. So only 2 years and 9 months to go. Ha Ha.
Ram
Posted 2009-12-31 10:35 AM (#120331 - in reply to #120252)

cerelyea - 2009-12-27 6:32 PM

I've been meditating as a way to deal with anxiety. I've been doing it about 4 times a week for 20 minutes. I'm just doing breathing meditation, basically I sit with my eyes closed and try to keep my attention focused on my breath. I don't know if it's helping me at all but it seems like I may be getting better at it. It is still the hardest thing to do but I enjoy it because it's a little time out from watching the kids. My husband watches them for me. I'm going to keep doing it but I don't think I've really mastered it. I was reading one of Jon-Kabat Zinn's books and he said to try breathing meditation for a couple of years so it must be difficult to learn if it takes years. I've been doing it since October and here it is December. So only 2 years and 9 months to go. Ha Ha.

Congratulations on starting. dont worry about the time frame. In two years your practise will be more established but the end is actually the process. The more you meditate the more you will love meditation and it will seep into your life. you will be more still in your life. You will have more equanimity. Your children will start feeling this and you will pass this on to them.

I've been meditating for 15 years. Many many people comment to me how I manage to be so "laid back" in stressful situations. It's all due to my practise.

What I have learned in my practise is when I start my meditation I just become aware of everything. I watch where my mind goes. I simply observe it. I dont "try" to achieve anything. this is what seperated meditation from anything else you do. Dont focus on stilling your mind. Observe. What is THAT which watches your mind? (a simple answer is your awareness).

Edited by Ram 2009-12-31 10:36 AM
paramagurusai
Posted 2010-02-16 12:17 PM (#121523 - in reply to #120331)

Meditation and Shaktipaatham (Power Transmission) are only easy if you approach a SadGuru not some ordinary Yoga Guru. Again the word SadGuru is very unique (search in wikipedia)..they are not ordinary Guru's. Guru's..like Yoga Guru's might be in thousands but a SadGuru is very rare to find.

Shaktipaatham (Power Transmission) by SadGuru Sri Ramanananda Maharshi is an excellent way to learn meditation. It also helps in other ways which are listed below.

You may experience some of the following through power transmission
• Peace of mind.
• The body becomes light and cools down.
• Sharpening of mind & faculties and increasing of physical stamina.
• Ecstasy of Meditation.
• Some of the body pains and chronic diseases get cured or are reduced to a great extent.
• The clashes of thoughts in mind and their negative effects on the body get reduced or disappeared to a great extent.
• 98% of the participants get divine vision & great feelings.
• Great vibrations.

I personally took this Shaktipaatham (Power Transmission) and learnt Meditation technique through Maharshi. I had several great experiences and am proceeding towards my goal.
About Shaktipaatham (Power Transmission) http://www.shirdisaianugrahapeetam.com/shakthipatham.htm

Sri Ramanananda Maharshi is visiting USA in August 2010 to provide Power Transmission. Please contact me for more details about his visit.
Also you can visit http://paramagurusai.blogspot.com for more info.
aravind7
Posted 2010-03-06 8:35 AM (#121770 - in reply to #118301)

Yes i accept it is hard, but once you are practised it is hard to stop meditation.
There are ways to simplify it. At the begining, meditation for prolonged hours is not advisable.
If u spent 20 to 30 mins daily it would be enough. You should strictly maintain the same time every day.
alfred_1986
Posted 2010-04-09 9:10 AM (#122309 - in reply to #118301)

It is simple to learn but hard too concentrate!!

Simply it is little hard but if you learn then you can make things smooth..
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-17 10:49 AM (#122415 - in reply to #122309)

Yoga will lead to meditation. It doesn't matter what type of yoga you do: hatha, bhakti, karma, jnana, japa etc. Just practice and you won't have to "learn" how to meditate.
Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-25 2:31 AM (#123108 - in reply to #118301)

I also had a same question "Will I ever learn meditation?"

Until, I met one excellent Meditation Guru. One of very senior of my friend had suggested me to meet this excellent Meditation Guru. And believe me I learnt Meditation within 4 weeks by taking assistance from him.

I surely, recommend to meet Unity for Meditation.

meditationman12
Posted 2010-10-29 4:31 PM (#125840 - in reply to #118302)

Find a good teacher. Don't try to learn online or from a book.

I've never learned from a teacher. Once I learned the basic techniques, it's been fairly easy for me. I've always been a very introspective person, though, and I've been studying the human mind for about 10 years now in my spare time. Might these be some of the reason's why meditation has came relatively easy for me?

I never try to act as if there's nothing more to learn, though... I definitely believe I could learn a thing or 30 from a teacher.
Medbenefits
Posted 2011-01-10 5:58 AM (#126856 - in reply to #119447)

New User

could you refer any book ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)