YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meaning of Hatha Yoga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

brayanSg
Posted 2009-09-25 8:18 PM (#118669)
Subject: Meaning of Hatha Yoga?

Veteran

Hello yogis!
I just wanted to know the meaning of "Hatha Yoga"

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-27 11:17 AM (#118690 - in reply to #118669)
Subject: RE: Meaning of Hatha Yoga?

Extreme Veteran

Hatha Yoga is - Yoga of Body and Mind Purification. The term Hatha Yoga has been commonly used to describe the practice of Asana (postures). However, the Hatha Yoga system includes Yama, Niyama, Asanas, Shatkarmas (six cleansing techniques), Mudras and Bandhas (psycho-physiological energy releasing techniques) and Pranayamas (pranic awakening practices).

Thanks
brayanSg
Posted 2009-10-01 11:26 AM (#118814 - in reply to #118669)

Veteran

Thank you yogacharya tanmoy for your reply. Is there any other meaning of hatha yoga? like relation of sun & moon or prana vayu? One of my friends recently completed his yoga ytc in India and have back to Singapore. He always tries to convince me with all these. Sorry if I am wrong....

Thanks again
kristi
Posted 2009-10-01 4:24 PM (#118821 - in reply to #118669)

Veteran

“Ha” means “sun” and “tha” means “moon”.
Hatha yoga is the balancing of those two things/elements/forces/qualities/nervous systems (sympathetic & parasympathetic) within us.
To get convinced you just have to try it yourself.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-10-01 9:29 PM (#118826 - in reply to #118814)

Extreme Veteran

Kristi is right brayan. “HA” refers to the solar, positive, warm, activating energies and “THA” refers to the lunar, cooling, negative, inhibitive energies. “Hatha Yoga” aims to create a harmonious interaction or polarity between these two powerful universal energies. It also refers to union of Prana and Apana Vayus.
Thanks ….

Edited by Yogacharyatonmoy 2009-10-01 9:30 PM
Jyoga
Posted 2009-10-02 9:31 PM (#118856 - in reply to #118826)

What do you mean by the union of prana & apana vayu?
How to do this yogacharya?
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-10-03 11:35 AM (#118865 - in reply to #118856)

Extreme Veteran

Prana Vayu is residing at heart, - Anahata Chakra or cardiac plexus and Apana Vayu resides at anus. Prana Vayu is inward and downward motion and Apna Vayu is downward and outward motion.
The meaning of ‘Ha’ is Prana and ‘Tha’ is Apana and the union or integration of these two forces is Hatha Yoga.

Thanks
Jyoga
Posted 2009-10-03 2:22 PM (#118872 - in reply to #118865)

Oh my God! Its very complicated!
But it seems to be very much interesting to me yogachrya tonmoy. How to learn more about these Prana & Amna Vayus? Can you please tell me more?
Thanks
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-10-03 6:29 PM (#118874 - in reply to #118872)

Extreme Veteran

Namaste Jaimy,
Prana Vayu resides at heart. Prana is the “Life Force”. This Prana dose the inhalation & exhalation and supervises all the important work of the body. Prana is the oldest part of the existence as it starts functioning, when a child is conceived.
According to Yoga philosophy, there are 4 more primary aspects of the prana, which regulate all the physical functions. These are:
Apana: It resides at anus and works for the nutrition and excretion. It also helps in respiration of Prana.
Samana: It resides at naval and works in proper functioning of digestion.
Udana: It resides at throat and helps in deglutition & speech production.
Vyana: It is spreads all over the body and dose circulation of blood & body fluid.

Many things are there involved with these. However, I have only stated the basic ideas about five Pranas here for you. The practice of Asana, Pranayama and Mudras/Bandhas help the Yoga students to facilitate the union of Prana and Apana.
This will help you I thing
Thank you

Edited by Yogacharyatonmoy 2009-10-03 6:35 PM
Jyoga
Posted 2009-10-04 11:32 AM (#118881 - in reply to #118874)

Thank you yogacharya tonmoy for your help. May I ask you how to practice asana to bring prana and apana vayu together? Is there any asana that helps to unite this 2 vayus?
Thanks again...........
brayanSg
Posted 2009-10-04 1:33 PM (#118884 - in reply to #118881)

Veteran

Thank you everybody for sharing your knowledge about Hatha Yoga. But the Hatha Yoga we do nowadays, like - in Singapore, Malaysia we have Hatha-1, Hatha-2 & Hatha-3 classes in many studios. Students are encouraged to attend the classes’ according to their abilities such as: Beginners, Intermediate or advance. However, these Hatha Yoga class don’t guide their students according to this theory - union of Prana & Apana. Do they?

Thanks
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-10-04 8:48 PM (#118895 - in reply to #118884)

Extreme Veteran

Namaste Brayan,
I have been in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and Indonesia many times for teaching Yoga. I know all these system, NAME of the class. This is to attract people sometimes it is very important. I also agree with you that basic Hatha yoga classes don’t guide the way to this concept - unite Prana & Apana. But some Yoga teachers are there, they do. Even I do, wherever I go I do this way. I am in USA right now, regular classes and weekend Workshops for East Meets West Yoga Studio, in Vienna of Virginia (http://www.eastmeetswestcenter.com). My Sunday class is 2 hours, 4pm – 6pm especially designed for this and many people are attending to realize this science of Prana/Apana Unity, how it works. Some of them have already developed their practice and they are very happy, me too. Next time when I go to your country I will inform you. You attend my class.
Thanks
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-10-05 6:52 PM (#118911 - in reply to #118881)

Extreme Veteran

Jyoga - 2009-10-04 11:32 AM

Thank you yogacharya tonmoy for your help. May I ask you how to practice asana to bring prana and apana vayu together? Is there any asana that helps to unite this 2 vayus?
Thanks again...........

One must have enough control of breath and a long practice of Mudra/Bandha and Kriyas should be important for this practice. You need to learn it directly for a Yoga teacher Jaimy. However, I can tell you about one technique, - “Bandha Troy” means three Bandhas together. The aspirant should sit in a comfortable meditative posture. After a long exhalation and holding the breath outside (Bahya Kumbhaka or External Breath Holding technique), the aspirant have to put Jalandhara Bandha – throat lock first, then Aswani Mudra 4-5 times gradually(rectal Lock, not Moola Bandha) and then Uddyana Banda – abdominal lock to close the Apana at abdomen. It is very difficult Jaimy to guide this technique this way. But I always do this in my workshop to the interested Yoga students.
Thanks
Jyoga
Posted 2009-10-07 8:15 PM (#118967 - in reply to #118911)

Thanks yogacharya tonmoy for your information.
But it's very complicated technique and so many things are involved with this process. How to practice this here do you know anybody in NY? Are you coming back to NY for workshop?

Thanks
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-10-10 6:43 PM (#119020 - in reply to #118967)

Extreme Veteran

Namaste!
I had a talk to the Indo-American Yoga Institute about 2nd week of November. But the date is not yet fixed. You can talk to them:
http://www.indoamericanyogainstitute.com
Director: Mr. Thomas Koovllar

Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)