YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

getting a teaching job
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

anandayoga
Posted 2009-10-05 9:43 PM (#118913)
Subject: getting a teaching job

Hello fellow yogis,

I have been to two training programs now and have been trying to
get a job at the studio where I have been taking class for the past
four years. I have subbed a couple of times and have received
positive feedback. However, I get the feeling the person who counts,
the owner/manager, does not feel confident in my abilities.

He did allow me to mentor with one of my favorite teachers. But
they informed me last week that it's best if the teacher has
the class to himself now. I am trying to get an accurate image
of my present abilities and I am confused.

In fact, this evening, one of the owners asked me to sub and the
other owner ( who seems to not favor me) called me back a few
hours later to let me know that they had found someone else to sub
the class.

I wonder if I should start with a clean slate and move to another studio
to take class and to make my home.

I am volunteering in my community - teaching kids at a home school
site - elderlies at a senior apartment complex and prenatal at my home.
I love teaching and do my best to give a good class.

Anyone out there with a similar experience?

Namaste,
Amy
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-10-06 5:22 PM (#118927 - in reply to #118913)
Subject: RE: getting a teaching job

Amy,
It sounds to me like the owners at your studio are not very interested in grooming you to be a teacher there. Either move on or ask them why, point blank in a face to face discussion. No matter what you do, you learn to be a teacher by doing it and you should make as many opportunities to teach as possible. There is a successful yoga teacher inside of you. You just need to find it and continually develop it. It is also important to attend as many different classes (all styles) as possible so that you see for yourself what works and what doesn't. Also, don't forget your own personal practice as that is where many of your insights for teaching will come from. If you really want to teach yoga, just keep at it and learn from every experience. Best of luck.
Namaste,
Jim

Posted 2009-10-06 6:34 PM (#118933 - in reply to #118913)
Subject: Re: getting a teaching job

I second Jim's advice. Also, it's been my experience that new teachers often are taken advantage of. We go into the teaching realm hoping not to encounter the attitudes we often encounter in say, retail sales. However, they are there so always be on guard when dealing with the business aspects of the yoga world.

Posted 2009-10-07 2:17 AM (#118943 - in reply to #118913)
Subject: Re: getting a teaching job

Hello Amy,

Wish I could tell you definitively what to do.

I could not possibly know the perspective of the studio owners. However, no matter what that perspective may be, it would be appropriate for them to be straight with you. I have not found any readings in Yoga that assert hiding, innuendo, or lack of clarity lead one joyously to the Self. And as yoga professionals I believe we are held to a higher standard. Unfortunately, yoga is subject to the same "stuff" investment banking is subject to only the veneer is several coats thicker:-)

If only we all actually practiced.

I worked at several studios. I'm qualified and there's not any doubt within me. However some of those studios valued me and others did not. I had to learn to value me before I figured out that they did not AND that it didn't feel "good" or "right". Now I only teach where I'm valued and I can tell where it is and is not.

Allow your behavior to manifest in alignment with your practice. Live the yoga off the mat. If that is a quiet moving on, so be it. If it is arranging a meeting with ownership and asking "what do I need to do to ____" then so be it. Both are fine when they are in integrity with who you are as a person.
tourist
Posted 2009-10-07 10:13 AM (#118950 - in reply to #118913)
Subject: RE: getting a teaching job

Expert Yogi

This is no reflection on Amy at all, since I don't know you or your teaching, but I find myself wondering - if every studio that did teacher training was obligated to employ every teacher they trained, would they then train those teachers differently? (longer? better? more comprehensively?)

I work in child care and we get practicum students most years. All the staff and the director are keen to make sure each student is ready for their real world jobs at the end of their schooling. Two reasons - 1) we want the local child care field to be able to say "she trained at XYZ child care, so she has had good training" and 2) we want to be confident that we would feel good hiring her ourselves. If those conditions are not met, our director often recommends more training.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)