YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

inverted poses contraindications
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

pondicherry
Posted 2009-10-22 5:36 PM (#119206)
Subject: inverted poses contraindications

hi everyone,
are inverted poses, kept for less then one minute, dangerous for hipertension controlled by drugs? thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Seeker101
Posted 2009-10-23 8:42 AM (#119215 - in reply to #119206)
Subject: RE: inverted poses contraindications

Veteran

if done correctly and safely, inverted poses are good for people with high blood pressure but if you have any serious medical condition, it is important to talk with a qualified yoga teacher before you do any kind of asana. Many people with various forms of metabolic disease, hypertension, arthritis, etc. enjoy benefits from a regular yoga practice......but you have to know your own body and your own limitations, especially when you are starting out. It's really important have a yoga teacher to help guide you in listening to your own body.

Namaste.

Posted 2009-10-23 1:07 PM (#119223 - in reply to #119206)

pondicherry - 2009-10-22 2:36 PM

hi everyone,
are inverted poses, kept for less then one minute, dangerous for hipertension controlled by drugs? thanks

Ask the person who prescribed the drugs.
pondicherry
Posted 2009-10-26 2:41 AM (#119246 - in reply to #119223)
Subject: Re: inverted poses contraindications

Thank you for your replies. To tell you the truth, I'm a yoga teacher, my problem is that I'm trying to understand how much danger there is for someone with hipertension (not so high but also tyroid problems, hence sarvangasana would be great).
We are discussing this topic in our yoga centre and my point of view is exactly the same of Seeeker101. Do you have any source from yoga text I can quote?
Thanks again!

Posted 2009-10-26 1:15 PM (#119251 - in reply to #119246)

Any medical condition that is controlled by drugs "should" allow the person to do everything that a "normal" person can do, except those things that the drug manufacturer lists in their information and contraindications for that particular drug. Although these are often many pages of small print, they are the results of a lot of testing and are generally very reliable. Without knowing the exact drug and dosage, as well as other drugs taken and possible other medical conditions that the student did not disclose, you really can't say that inversions are OK or that they are not OK. Yoga teachers should refer students to their medical doctors for medical opinions. If their doctor says it is OK, the yoga teacher can use their expertise and teach poses that may decrease the need for medical interventions in the future. In the meantime, the student is under the medical supervision of a professional and that should be respected, just as the doctor should not start telling the patient how to do specific yoga poses.

joyoga
Posted 2009-10-27 12:30 PM (#119263 - in reply to #119215)

Seeker101 - 2009-10-23 8:42 AM

if done correctly and safely, inverted poses are good for people with high blood pressure but if you have any serious medical condition, ...................

Namaste.

I am sorry, how INVERTED YOGA POSE helps to a person suffering with High Blood Pressure? Please explain us here...
Because, Yoga teachers are telling that Inversion should be avoided if you have High BP.
jim is right, "Any medical condition that is controlled by drugs "should" allow the person to do everything that a "normal" person can do...."

Thanks
Joseph

Edited by joyoga 2009-10-27 12:33 PM
pondicherry
Posted 2009-10-28 11:57 AM (#119278 - in reply to #119246)

here is an interesting point of view, take a look: http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/594
Bill888
Posted 2010-05-01 1:03 AM (#122621 - in reply to #119206)

I really appreciate these contraindications.

So much better than avoiding the subject in the name of promoting Yoga.

In fact, Yoga is better if you know the contraindications.

Posted 2010-05-12 2:57 PM (#122842 - in reply to #122621)

There are certainly differing philosophies relative to this, and other therapeutic topics. Some of those philosophies are well founded while others are simply dogmatic. Which are which is up to the individual to discern.

When a student (of mine) has reduced their BP using medication I teach them as though they have HBP. I do not teach to their medicated state. There may be exceptions but I an unable to think of them at this moment.

Therefore in the practice I am imparting, a student with hypertension can go up by they stay up only briefly - one to three breaths and no more. Over the course of time, through the practice, their condition may improve and then they may go up for an additional period of time. But I would watch them carefully and determine their ability relative to safety.

If you need to cite something from yoga text you can cite the first yama from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali:-)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)