YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Being on time for class
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Angelica
Posted 2009-11-02 7:36 PM (#119345)
Subject: Being on time for class

I'm curious to know how other peoples studios manage start time - if at all. The studio I go to has got into the habit of starting over 5 minutes late every class due to late students. It results in the teachers either rushing through the first half of the class or cutting out the second set of several poses as they don't want to finish late.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-11-02 8:14 PM (#119347 - in reply to #119345)
Subject: Re: Being on time for class

They cut out the second set of poses?! Whoa. I've never had a teacher do that, even though they seem to have an unspoken policy of starting 5 minutes late. Is this common?

I think my studio doesn't mind going a little bit over the class "end" time. Most teachers don't really hold standing savasana for more than a couple of seconds except for water breaks (after eagle and sometimes before triangle or standing separate leg stretching). Dunno if that is the case elsewhere.
freiamaya
Posted 2009-11-02 8:18 PM (#119348 - in reply to #119345)

Our studio has a sign on the hot room doors that says "please arrive 5 minutes before class in order to avoid disappointment". Never been in a class that missed an entire second set of poses. Sometimes they'll do one long sitting head to knee pose at the end vice two but that's it.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-11-02 8:43 PM (#119349 - in reply to #119345)

Classes usually start on time. Sometimes the teacher will come in late, but not because of late students. And sometimes the actual start of class will be a bit later because the teacher gives encouraging words to the people in their first class.

Students can come into class until half moon starts. After that, its too late. Even then, people don't often come into the studio once pranayama starts. If they do, there's a sure way to tell the experienced yogi from the noob. The experienced yogi throws stuff to the side and starts right in on the breathing, then sets up the mat and towel between poses. The noob will unfailingly go through their full mat and towel ritual while other people are doing the breathing exercise.
bikramlover
Posted 2009-11-03 7:09 AM (#119357 - in reply to #119345)

At my N.Y studio (let's say class started at 3pm then doors were locked at 3pm) class started moments after that. NO one could come to the classes once class started - so everyone would come earlier and would be ready by the time class started. This studio had a clock in the room, so you had a good idea as to what was going on. It kept everyone on time.

Here in Sydney at this studio - NO CLOCK...... that's there policy - just in case they go over in time. There have been times where students have walked in during pranayama and that is a bit frustrating as they are usually newbies. They do have complimentary oranges for after class.

I still think that the newbies should be given a set of guidelines when they are enrolling with the introductory pass. And some reading material to go along with it. But the newbies don't know any different - unless of course someone tells them.
freiamaya
Posted 2009-11-03 10:39 AM (#119361 - in reply to #119345)

Ya, and until someone enforces the guidelines things tend to recur! We don't have latecomers often. But we do get chatterers in the hot room before and after class even though there are signs up asking for silence in the hot room. The staff members who are taking class and some of the long time students are the worst offenders! Which makes me just focus on the "yoga is an internal process" concept and at least I get to practice the concept of tuning out the environment during pre and post class meditation! Still is irritating, though...

Edited by freiamaya 2009-11-03 10:40 AM
Angelica
Posted 2009-11-03 1:45 PM (#119363 - in reply to #119345)

I had heard that some studios lock the door at start time. It seems like it is just a case of training the students as to how the studio likes to operate. If they know the door will be locked at start time I expect they'd make the effort to get there beforehand. It's such a disciplined style of yoga - to me being on time is all part of that discipline.

Randomfemale - they cut out the second set of "several" poses - not all.

Posted 2009-11-03 11:37 PM (#119370 - in reply to #119345)

I see that, Angelica, but never having experienced it at all, I was just little surprised :-)
huishan
Posted 2009-11-04 2:16 AM (#119372 - in reply to #119345)
Subject: RE: Being on time for class

ohohoo. my studio is very strict about latecomers. once the instructor walks into the room, no one is allowed in after him. so i always arrived 30 mins earlier. just a habit already.
Pamela0414
Posted 2010-08-14 3:04 PM (#124665 - in reply to #119345)

Our classes start right on time, on the dot. When class starts the studio doors get locked. If someone comes in late it would be very disturbing. I am glad my studio handles it this way. I come a half hour early just to get changed, make up off, mat set up and lay in Savasana before class time.
svtaylor
Posted 2010-08-16 9:15 PM (#124685 - in reply to #119345)
Subject: RE: Being on time for class

My wife is an instructor with numerous students. Though she does not lock the door, she does request that everyone be on time so as to be considerate of the rest of the students. Any interruption can be very disconcerting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)