YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

back bends for low back pain
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Eteraz
Posted 2009-11-17 12:35 PM (#119467)
Subject: back bends for low back pain

Not sure which forum to post this in but since I do Ashtanga I will post it here.
I have bad low back pain (part scoliosis and part very slight buldging disk in L5).

forward bends and twists help but curious as to why back-bends almost completely take the pain away (as in Urdhva Dhanurasana). Sounds like the opposite would be true.

Thank you.

Edited by Eteraz 2009-11-17 12:36 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2009-11-25 5:03 AM (#119591 - in reply to #119467)
Subject: RE: back bends for low back pain

Hi Ellie,
Sorry for delay in answering-not been coming here very much.
Very difficult to give an answer, for the following reasons.
It may be that you are perfoming your backbends very well, encouraging your lumbar spine to resist hyper-extension, and therefore producing an environment for your lumbar spine which encourages the compression which must exist on the discs to be spread over the entire surface of the joint. If the compression is concentrated on a specfic part of the disc by faulty spine postion, then the force is also greatly increased, with a much greater likelyhood of disc herniation.
On the other hand, people with bad backs can often feel that the nervous messages which are relayed to them by performing a posture are a sign that they are performing that posture correctly. This is often not true. The nervous impulses may be a sign to stop performing that posture, but the faulty biomechanics of the individual student have led to a faulty nervous system and a faulty appreciation of what the messages mean or what to do about them.
It may also be that the postures are 'working' simply because you are supplying the spinal cord with messages from different receptors than the ones which are being stimulated by your normal (faulty) spinal position. The new impulses drown out the old ones as they try to enter the spinal cord, like too many people trying to go through a doorway at the same time (the pain gate theory).
Scoliosis makes the spine even more complex, with each case bringing new challenges. Generally, I emphasise tightening the muscles on the convexity of the curvature, and lengthening the muscles on the concave side of the curve. You probably already know stuff like this, sorry to state the obvious if that's so.

Nick
sah808
Posted 2010-08-31 6:48 PM (#124868 - in reply to #119467)
Subject: RE: back bends for low back pain

New User

well thats good quite the opposite of what Ive been told by my instructor..I have acquired lower back pains since practicing..only about couple months ago prob because of the intensity..I have been doing primary for inconsistently 5 years and got into second series little over a year..her advice was to limit primary because of the foward bends and stick to secondary and backbends..the funny thing is I believe the first time I injured my lower back was due to assisted drop backs..which would be a backbend..hmmmm

Posted 2010-09-10 11:04 AM (#124982 - in reply to #119467)
Subject: Re: back bends for low back pain

probably best to have a chiropractor or cranio-sacral therapist consult with your Yoga teacher about what postures are best for you. different movements and positions can be good or bad, depending on the very specific injury you have. And two people, both with, say...bad discs on L4, can have injuries that are different enough that a specific posture will have a different effect for each.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)