YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Self-Realization in Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

joyoga
Posted 2009-11-22 8:32 PM (#119554)
Subject: Self-Realization in Yoga

Hello, I just wanted to know the position of Self-Realization in Yoga. Like Asana is the 3rd, Pranayama is the 4th, Concentration is the 6th & Meditation is the 7th limbs of Yoga. Where is Self-Realization?
Or is this a different TRADITION??

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-11-22 10:31 PM (#119560 - in reply to #119554)
Subject: Re: Self-Realization in Yoga

self realization is more the result than the practice.
in the tradition of sequential logic in my brain, at least.
one might equate self-realization with samadhi...
prana_guy
Posted 2009-11-23 3:25 PM (#119568 - in reply to #119554)

I think it depends on the philosophy underpinning your particular school of yoga.

In many traditions of yoga there can be no 'self-realisation' per se because there is no 'self' to realise.
The nearest thing would be 'not-self' realisation, the realisation that all things are brahma, that we are everything and the distinction that we call 'self' is an illusion. That can equate to samadhi, the eighth limb of patanjalis yoga as mentioned above.

Sorry. Its heavy stuff.

Edited by prana_guy 2009-11-23 3:27 PM

Posted 2009-11-23 9:17 PM (#119573 - in reply to #119568)

One can intellectualize, repeat dogma or tradition forever and all you have is a whole lot of nonsensical words in your head. When people talk about self realization, samadhi etc, they either are just repeating meaningless words or they are trying to express in words that which cannot be expressed in words.

Either self realization/samadhi is experiential or it doesn't exist.

The menu is not the meal!

The word tree is static and a symbol that only exists in your mind. The tree itself is a reality, a living, breathing life form that is dynamic and changing all the time.

kristi
Posted 2009-11-24 2:51 PM (#119585 - in reply to #119554)
Subject: RE: Self-Realization in Yoga

Veteran

I would prefer to express it in a simple way…
Yoga (among other things) is helping me experience better the capabilities and the restrictions of myself, the physical laws that are governing my body, the rhythm of my breath depending on my sentiments, the pathways that my mind is following depending on the asana in which I am in each time, etc etc.

In few words it is helping me realize (=understand) myself better.

Then consequently, I just find out that all these apply in the same way to everything around me. Like, for example, gravity is having the same effect on my leg, like it has on the bolster I am using. This simply leads me to the conclusion that myself is in union with everything around me.

I totaly agree with Jim that all of these have to do with experience and awareness. Dogmatic terms are usually keeping people away from yoga. they did keep me away for so many decades of my life, which I consider a pity.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-11-26 1:30 PM (#119610 - in reply to #119585)
Subject: RE: Self-Realization in Yoga

Extreme Veteran

Namaste Joseph,
I appreciate what Kristi said in a simple way..
In our tradition, Self- Realization starts from 4thNiamey, at Swadhyaya (4th Niamey). When a Yoga Student start Swadhaya, which literally means study of the Self by studying scriptures, chanting mantra (Japa) and an ongoing observation of one self and the activity of the mind. This self-study procedure leads to self-realization.

I wish you all the best..
Mischa
Posted 2009-11-27 8:43 PM (#119627 - in reply to #119610)

Hi,
Self realization is the realization that you are not just your physical body, your thoughts and emotions, but that you are ultimately connected with everything and everyone in the manifestation.
In the 8 stages of raja yoga, concentration (dharana) is what leads us to meditation (dhyana) - which is perfect concentration. Which leads us to (hopefully!) Samadhi, absolute total merging of the individual consciousness with the Absolute!
Swadhyaya (see above post) is one of the 10 Yamas and Niyamas, which are the 1st 2 stages of Raja yoga.
These terms are not dogmatic, they are Sanskrit definitions that come from sacred ancient texts - which you can use as you feel!
Paramahansa Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi is an excellent book about real yogis, and how and what they experienced, and lived, and aspired to - and not so long ago! It has amazing descriptions of states of Samadhi. I would definitely recommend that you read it, and your understanding and inspiration will be much greater. And its written by someone who has experienced these things.

With love.

Posted 2009-11-29 9:24 PM (#119654 - in reply to #119627)

A widely accepted definition of the word dogma:

"Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization: it is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or diverged from."

If the eight limbs of the yoga sutras (for example) are considered "authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or diverged from", they are dogma.

It is how yoga (or any) writings from the past are viewed and used today which makes the difference between dogma, which is the closing of the mind, and broadening your perspective, which is the opening of the mind.

The difference is in our relationship to the writings and our resulting relationship to each other.

vibes
Posted 2009-12-03 7:02 AM (#119666 - in reply to #119654)

Extreme Veteran

They are all part of the same thing. Simple as that.
Maja
Posted 2010-01-30 2:26 PM (#121121 - in reply to #119554)

Hello!
The way to come to self realisation is practising Kriya Yoga! I would like to invite you to see the link about Kriya Yoga. http://www.kriyayoga.org.in/
Kriya Yoga is a Science of Body, Mind & Spirit. It contains a few techniques, which are very ancient, secret and scientific. This Yoga gives simultaneous development of our body, mind and soul i.e. spirit. The very moment we start practising Kriya Yoga, we can easily and instantly elevate ourselves physically, mentally, morally, intellectually and spiritually.

GuruJi Yogacharya Tapan Bose is a master of Kriya Yoga, initiated into Kriya Yoga at the age of 8, by Paramhamsa Hariharananda. You can contact him on email: yogacharya_bosemahasaya@yahoo.com
He lives in Colcata in India.

Welcome!
Wish you good Sunday,
Maja.
stephlay
Posted 2010-10-09 2:57 PM (#125458 - in reply to #119554)

New User

I quote - "why is yoga not a perfect answer for the modern seeker? Although probably the best of the "exercise" systems, yoga as taught today does not go far enough. The body organized through yoga achieves joint mobility but does not consciously recognize and seek out the gravity field as its basic supportive factor. It does not and cannot achieve a true vertical relationship" "the upward development of living organisms is subject to a variety of influences and develops upward apparently in response to an antigravity factor ie: heliotrophic light is necessary to chemical maturing. ex. A young plant will try to grow upward even when kept in darkness. Deprivation of light or opportunity for upright stance (gravitational organization) causes a loss of pattern and consequent deterioration. This is equally tru of humans" IDA ROLF Can yoga practice evolve and catch up with technological destruction of upward postural alignment using gravities demands as a base? I have found a very close minded traditional rejection to the thought that yoga should evolve and be based on an individuals needs in a private setting to align the body in an assymetrical practice since none of us are symetrical which represents the minds imbalances and energetic blocks.
Marina_J
Posted 2010-11-20 4:20 AM (#126164 - in reply to #119554)

Sahaja Yoga is a unique method of meditation based on an experience called Self Realization that can occur within each human being. Through this process an inner transformation takes place by which one becomes moral, united, integrated and balanced.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)