YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Fishman
Posted 2009-12-29 3:14 PM (#120285)
Subject: New to Bikram

I just started to go to a Bikram class and was wondering if anyone can suggest books or videos that I can watch to learn to do the postures correctly. The teacher doesn't have time to work with everyone because the class is so large and I need to figure some of this out on my own.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-12-29 3:43 PM (#120286 - in reply to #120285)
Subject: Re: New to Bikram

Yes! THIS ONE!! Bikram's Begining Yoga Class, by Bikram Choudhury. http://www.amazon.com/Bikrams-Beginning-Class-Second-Edtion/dp/1585420204

There's some info and tutorials online, but some of them are, er, less than reliable. But this book is written by Bikram, and is fun, readable, and informative. Some of it is "dated," but I think it's still the best resource out there for your money, hands down. Most of the studios sell copies at the desk, and you might find it even cheaper online.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride!!

Posted 2009-12-29 4:12 PM (#120287 - in reply to #120286)

AND, Half Price Books always has them available (in my town anyway).

Posted 2009-12-29 4:55 PM (#120289 - in reply to #120285)

also, don't forget that private lessons are also an option and great for beginners.

Posted 2009-12-29 5:06 PM (#120291 - in reply to #120285)

There's private Bikram lessons? Can you leave to go to the bathroom? Just couldn't resist...
Cyndi
Posted 2009-12-29 10:45 PM (#120294 - in reply to #120287)

Expert Yogi

OMG, Bruce, what am I gonna do with you???

You don't have to get private lessons from a Bikram instructor, you can pick anyone you like. Then you should inform them that you like this type of yoga or that you want to practice this type of yoga. If they're a good yoga teacher, then they will teach you useful things such as alignment, breathing techniques, etc. that will help you with your Bikram practice. It won't hurt you, it will only enhance your yoga practice. Most yoga teachers are very familiar with the Bikram sequence, and there are variations of the asanas that are very similar. For instance, if you can do several different warrior variations, then it will only make your Bikram Triangle that much better....because, once you learn other variations of the postures, the alignment that you've coded into your body will benefit you in any posture you do...of course this doesn't happen overnight, you must practice and learn it. It takes time and dedication. Personally, I took each posture and learned each one very well. I did this on my own and with a private instructor who happened to have been Bikram trained, but also trained in several other yoga schools. Doing the practice by yourself and/or at home alone, is the best way to practice. Once you get comfortable with yourself you discover all sorts of things and the experience is totally different than in the studio.

Anyway, there are no rigid rules when it comes to Hatha Yoga. We can either make it as complicated as we want to, or we can make it simple and use common sense. We are free to make our own choices about our practice and do what is best for our condition and/or situations, whatever they may be.

Best wishes and good luck to you!

Edited by Cyndi 2009-12-29 10:48 PM
Fishman
Posted 2009-12-30 4:18 PM (#120322 - in reply to #120286)

thedancingj - 2009-12-29 3:43 PM

Yes! THIS ONE!! Bikram's Begining Yoga Class, by Bikram Choudhury. http://www.amazon.com/Bikrams-Beginning-Class-Second-Edtion/dp/1585420204

There's some info and tutorials online, but some of them are, er, less than reliable. But this book is written by Bikram, and is fun, readable, and informative. Some of it is "dated," but I think it's still the best resource out there for your money, hands down. Most of the studios sell copies at the desk, and you might find it even cheaper online.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride!!

Ok, I will definitely buy that book. I think I'll also get the one with the orange cover by Bikram. I've been using a Gaiam mat I got at Target. Are those good? Is there anything better for hot yoga?

Posted 2009-12-30 5:45 PM (#120323 - in reply to #120285)

I've got a Gaiam mat that's served me just fine through my last few hundred Bikram classes... I probably will need to retire it next year, but it's taken a LOT of sweat. There are some mats that a bit nicer. If you are in the mood to upgrade, look for something lightweight that will dry quickly. If you get a thick absorbent mat, it's gonna, well, ABSORB, and it will be a heavy mess at the end of class!

Bikram's orange book is excellent, too! I always just say to read the "blue book" first, because it gives you the best introduction to the postures. The orange book is not so helpful for doing the postures, but it is VERY good for learning more about the history of Bikram yoga and the philosophy of yoga in general.
Ram
Posted 2009-12-31 10:27 AM (#120330 - in reply to #120285)

The books are good. But just going to the class and LISTENING to the instructions will advance your practise. I find it amazing how often I finally pick something up the teacher says that takes a pose to a new place for me. I "heard" the instruction many many times but I finally listened to it and absorbed it. This makes you realize how much of a growth curve their is in this practise considering it's supposedly the same "boring" poses done over and over.

And various teachers point out different things that really help me. Most of the teachers in the practise are quite amazing.

Edited by Ram 2009-12-31 10:28 AM

Posted 2009-12-31 7:29 PM (#120348 - in reply to #120285)

also, FIshMan, it makes fishing better. way better. stick with it.
vibes
Posted 2010-01-02 5:19 PM (#120365 - in reply to #120285)

Extreme Veteran

It is better to go to a class where a teacher knows how to deal with a large number of people. Anyway postures 'correctly' done for you will be different for someone else. In the same way a medicine will benefit one person and harm another. We are all different. So its probably better avoid being 'corrected' by the teacher so you can be yourself and not try to follow in the footsteps of someone else who believes he is 'correct'.
Fishman
Posted 2010-01-04 10:42 AM (#120381 - in reply to #120348)

zoebird - 2009-12-31 7:29 PM

also, FIshMan, it makes fishing better. way better. stick with it.

lol, that's cool but I got the nickname Fishman because my last name is Fisher not b/c I going fishing.

Has anyone tried one of these Gaiam Stay Put Mats that Target sells? Amazon has it for $39 and free shipping, btw.

http://www.target.com/Gaiam-Stay-Yoga-Mat/dp/B0015RTD3M/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=gaiam&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=Gaiam%20Stay%20Yoga%20Mat&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Ctarget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=-price&searchPage=1&field_keywords=gaiam

If the Gaiam is not the best, specifically, which mats do you guys think are best for Bikram?

Edited by Fishman 2010-01-04 11:03 AM

Posted 2010-01-04 11:30 AM (#120382 - in reply to #120285)

This is my favorite Bikram/Hot yoga mat: http://www.yoga.com/store/product.asp?Product_ID=3020&Category_ID=295

Just throw it in the washer after class. Part mat, part towel--the "Mowel"

Posted 2010-01-04 2:04 PM (#120386 - in reply to #120285)

If price is not an issue (and you have your own washer), the BEST Bikram mat is probably this one: http://www.breathemat.com/ . I've never had one, but people absolutely swear by them. They are custom made for Bikram yoga. It's another mat/towel combo, and the newest ones even have a "rabbit flap" to flip over your heels in rabbit podr!
Fishman
Posted 2010-01-05 10:35 AM (#120414 - in reply to #120386)

Bruce - 2010-01-04 11:30 AM

This is my favorite Bikram/Hot yoga mat: http://www.yoga.com/store/product.asp?Product_ID=3020&Category_ID=295

Just throw it in the washer after class. Part mat, part towel--the "Mowel"

thedancingj - 2010-01-04 2:04 PM

If price is not an issue (and you have your own washer), the BEST Bikram mat is probably this one: http://www.breathemat.com/ . I've never had one, but people absolutely swear by them. They are custom made for Bikram yoga. It's another mat/towel combo, and the newest ones even have a "rabbit flap" to flip over your heels in rabbit podr!

Since I like to try everything I can when I start something new, I ordered both the Solace mat and the Breathe mat. btw, Amazon has the Hugger Mugger Solace mat for as low as $33 dollars depending on which color you want. I'll let everyone know how they work after I've tried them for a while.

Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciate you guys.

Posted 2010-01-05 10:44 AM (#120415 - in reply to #120285)

Did you get the "alignment" weave Solace John? I use it in all different styles of yoga--really helps out.

Posted 2010-01-05 10:59 AM (#120416 - in reply to #120285)

Fishman, tell us which you like better! I would love to get the Breathe mat (I've been using the same sticky mat I've had for about 8 years. Um, ew.), but my broke butt won't be buying anything expensive for a while!

www.eattheyolk.blogspot.com

Edited by Randomfemale 2010-01-05 11:00 AM
Fishman
Posted 2010-01-05 11:22 AM (#120417 - in reply to #120416)

Bruce - 2010-01-05 10:44 AM

Did you get the "alignment" weave Solace John? I use it in all different styles of yoga--really helps out.

I got the sandstone. Maybe I should have got the alignment weave.

Randomfemale - 2010-01-05 10:59 AM

Fishman, tell us which you like better! I would love to get the Breathe mat (I've been using the same sticky mat I've had for about 8 years. Um, ew.), but my broke butt won't be buying anything expensive for a while!

If you want a new mat, Amazon also has free shipping and like I said only $33 for the Solace. I'll definitely let you know what I think after I try them a few times.

Posted 2010-01-05 12:14 PM (#120418 - in reply to #120285)

The regular one is fine John--I just like the alignment one as the markings help me in my own practice when I'm not wearing my glasses and can't see ANY distance other than at my feet.

One thing, even though it's washable, I recommend air drying rather than a heated dryer--makes the backing last longer. AND, on any "mowel" before you begin practice, recommend doing a variation of the Sumo salt ceremony and srinkle the mat with water--helps in the footing until you get a sweating.

Posted 2010-01-07 3:31 PM (#120475 - in reply to #120285)

yeah, but isn't fisher a last name refering to those who fish? my last name is parker, it refers to those who maintain parks.

and i do actually do that come to think of it. LOL

yoga definitely makes Parker-ing better. but, i'm taking up fishing in NZ (got invited on a trip and we're not even there yet!), and i'm sure yoga will make fishing better.

weird hobby for a vegetarian though. LOL

anyhoot, mats.

i wash mine and line dry after two spins. usually dries overnight no problems.

my husband--who sweats a lot and did hot yoga for a time--prefers a mysore practice rug over a mat. and, do the sumo-salt think like bruc said, because that helps.

for my own part, i just stick to the ground naturally. i don't know why.
freiamaya
Posted 2010-01-07 5:18 PM (#120484 - in reply to #120285)

must be that pesky gravity thing, zoe...
Fishman
Posted 2010-01-15 10:20 AM (#120705 - in reply to #120285)

I got all of the things you guys suggested. The Bikram books were exactly what I needed (Bikram has a pretty fascinating life story, btw). The mowels didn't work out as well as we hoped because the studio I go to has smooth floors and the mowels were made for use on carpet. The Solace mat was grippier than the Breathe Mat, but I decided to send them both back because they are not as grippy as the rubber mats. The Yogitoes towels with rubber feet are pretty awesome to go over the rubber mats so I think that's what I'm going to use for now. Oh, and the Gaiam Stay Mat was also not made for smooth floors. the back is almost like one side of velcro and needs to go on to carpet to grip like it is supposed to.

Also, when I ordered the Bikram books from Amazon, they suggested adding a hot yoga dvd called the Barkan method. It was only $14 and for people that are new to yoga and are visual learners, they might want the dvd because he does most of Bikram's asanas and gives instruction on how to properly do them with his two models.

Edited by Fishman 2010-01-15 10:22 AM

Posted 2010-01-15 3:37 PM (#120711 - in reply to #120285)

yeah, barkan is a nice guy too. studied with bikram. he just added a bit to the sequence and stuff.
Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-29 4:12 AM (#123222 - in reply to #120285)

Do some googling and find the books which have good reviews!

KenPol
Posted 2010-08-09 1:37 PM (#124585 - in reply to #120285)

Well Bikram has I think 3 books that all help out. Also there is a book called Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar that I really liked. Anatomy of Hatha Yoga is also a very visual book that helps out as well! Good luck

- K

Mika Yoga Wear
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)