YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At What Age (and introduction)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

grlonwindsurf
Posted 2010-01-29 3:26 PM (#121096)
Subject: At What Age (and introduction)

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here. I am thinking of enroling in a four-month long TT that starts in April. Maybe as you had when embarking on this journey, I have some doubts, questions, etc, so I thought that maybe I could get some feedback on my particular set of worries.

A little about me - I took my first yoga class in 1994, and yes it was on the VCR. Since that time, I carried a regular prenatal self-practice - on VCR... LOL -- when pregnant with my now 10-yr-old -- and taken a couple more DVD classes. More recently took a bunch of yoga classes at a big franchise gym, and finally found it in me to commit to a 4-6 days a week practice in Jimmy Barkan's main hot yoga studio here in FTL.

Prior to all of this, in the 80s, in Rio where I'm from, I used to regularly take these one-hour classes called "Elongation" classes (that's the literal translation of the class name), which in retrospect were routines that combined yoga poses that focus on stretching your body parts. I also have a classical ballet background and while in school taught fitness (ok, it was aerobics in the 90s, LOL) classes at Bally's.

So at 38 now, and with only six months of regular practice under my belt, I'm thankfully able to dream about teaching again, which I have been secretely doing for many years.

So here's my question - is it too soon for me? Is it too late for me?

Is it too soon to go into a TT and attempt to teach with only one year of practice (it'll be one year by the time of certification)?

Is it too late at 38 with only one year of practice?

Most of the teachers I have encountered, are either in their 20s and 30s with at least 5+ years of experience, or in their 40s and into their 60s with 10 to 30 years of practice. I haven't met anyone in a similar position as mine.

And, to clarify, I am not seeking a career switch, or assuming that I will get hired after graduation - what I am mostly seeking at this point is to deepen my practice in all available aspects in a more intensive manner than just attending classes at the studio, and if a teaching opportunity comes then - awesome!

Still, I would love to know at what age and after how many years of practice, you started teaching - and if I have a fighting chance of one day being able to consider myself a yoga teacher

Om Shanti,
grlonwindsurf

Edited by grlonwindsurf 2010-01-29 3:30 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-01-29 6:07 PM (#121100 - in reply to #121096)
Subject: Re: At What Age (and introduction)

Welcome Erica. Enjoyed reading your post. I was 50 before I took my first yoga class in 2001 and following 30 years in the US Air Force. Went to a TT in 2005 and began teaching immediately after and have loved every minute of it. I think older folks bring an aspect to teaching that younger people can't--wisdom that only life's experiences can offer. No way I'll ever be as amazing to watch as a kid who ties him/her self into knots but, and just based on feedback from my students, I know how to reach them with pedologic tools more profound than a simple demo. And personally, I think what I offer is a bit of common sense in my approach that a kid or a hardcore ancient yogi teacher often does not--learning and practicing while functioning toward excellence in today's world. So in short, don't worry about it--you have a lot to offer your future students should you decide to teach.
Seeker101
Posted 2010-01-29 10:24 PM (#121104 - in reply to #121096)

Veteran

I think that you should see teacher training as the beginning of your journey and not the end. Plenty of people take a 200 hour teacher training and then don't teach because they don't yet feel ready. Teacher training by itself doesn't prepare you for teaching yoga, but it's a great way to learn and deepen your practice in anticipation of feeling ready to teach. I also began yoga at a later age, I was 42 when I began practicing regularly. It was 8 years later that I did my year long TT.

I don't remember who said this, but I have heard that you are considered a beginner in yoga, meaning not ready to prepare and teach others, until you have your own individual practice (and independent home practice)...of course, there are many types of yoga, like Bikram, Barkan, etc., where a home practice is not a measure of readiness to teach.

Posted 2010-01-30 3:48 PM (#121123 - in reply to #121096)

Erika,

I'm responding based on your intention which you state as deepening your understanding and practice of Yoga.

Keeping the above in mind, then it doesn't matter one bit whether you've had ten years of asana practice or ten months. You will no doubt receive from the Universe (training) the things your soul needs at this point in time. However there are a few things to consider for this to ring true.

The first is that deepening an asana practice is quite a bit different than deepening a Yoga practice. The first may lead to the second, it's a nice place to start, and it would be important for those pursuing an alignment-based asana practice in order to further develop the foundations in asana for a practice of safety over a lifetime.

The second thing is the nature of discernment in the student which is supposed to be cultivated from the practice of Yoga. Discernment, for many students, takes some time to cultivate AND typically only occurs when they are guided to do so - though it is not always the case.

This leads to my third point which is the connection to the spirit that is facilitated via the heart center. As we know, there are three vocalizations in the body and the vital force and mental force have their own agendas which often lead us away from that which is Yoga. Exploring and connecting with the heart center is the methodology for finding one's svadharma or personal mission.

These two things - discernment and the heart center, are what allow us to find the right things for our living. And of course finding those things not only reduce suffering but also facilitate joy.

With all this in mind I believe the question is more of "where should I continue my study" not "should I continue my study" or "am I too old to continue my study". If you feel called to take this training or that from this person or that AND that calling has been clarified such that it does not originate in the vital or mental forces, then onward my dear, and enjoy!

Posted 2010-01-30 7:06 PM (#121124 - in reply to #121096)

yup. you're never too old and it's never too late. and if the teacher is willing to train you with only six months of formal instruction, then i wouldn't question that overmuch.

i won't train some people who have been at it for years, and others i'll train after a few months with me. depends entirely on the student in question.
grlonwindsurf
Posted 2010-01-31 8:42 AM (#121129 - in reply to #121096)

The input from each one of you has been invaluable, inspiring, and encouraging; thank you all so much for it. I still have almost 3 months until the TT starts, time I'm going to use to further my practice and start reading the books in their syllabus.
I will post on here how it goes and look forward to reading more of your own journeys
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)