YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sugar free electrolyte?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

lockdaknee
Posted 2010-02-26 5:12 PM (#121672)
Subject: sugar free electrolyte?

Regular

a post by dancing dj in the "water or not to water" thread got me thinkin' about electrolytes.

i don't even really know what an electrolyte is. all i know is that we are supposed to replace them after sweating like hell during class. i was drinking a ton of emergen c for the past couple of years but have learned that they are chock full of sugar, coconut water too. i'm trying to cut sugar out of diet. there is a sugar free alternative to emercen c called 'ultima' but that has aspartame which i consider to be gross.

does anyone know of a sugar free way to replace electrolytes?

thx
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-02-26 6:23 PM (#121673 - in reply to #121672)
Subject: Re: sugar free electrolyte?

that is SUCH a great question that i went and wrote a long blog post in response to it. here you go, just for you!

http://bikram101.blogspot.com/2010/02/day-57-electro-what.html

J
amyf
Posted 2010-02-27 1:18 AM (#121681 - in reply to #121672)

Veteran

i take an electrolyte tab that is just straight minerals like taking a multi vitamin

Posted 2010-02-27 1:52 AM (#121682 - in reply to #121672)

lockdaknee--I understand the desire to cut back on the sugar, but even coconut water? Fructose is processed differently from glucose. It's fairly low in sugar compared to other sporty drinks.

Call me old fashioned, but I just can't imagine that having a glass of pure juice after class is doing anything but nourishing the body :-) Some of these newer tabs/mixes are intriguing. But for AFTER class? Give me some regular ol' OJ or a Zico or get out of town! Hahaha.

http://eattheyolk.blogspot.com
ferret
Posted 2010-02-27 8:48 AM (#121688 - in reply to #121672)

I've found that potassium is the most important electrolyte to get before and after a sweat workout. Sometimes I eat pickles or other salty foods for sodium, etc. But potassium is tricky. The reason is that the commercial sports drinks and supplements are not allowed to add any more than 99 mg of potassium, but your body can sweat out 1000 mg or more.

Most of the high potassium foods that are portable and easy to consume have some sugar. However, coconut water really is pretty low in sugar. I think it's about 40-60 calories per serving, and will deliver over 500 mg potassium in the same serving. If coconut water is the only sugar you take in a day, you will still have a very low sugar diet. I have been doing the low-sugar, low-carb thing myself, but I still use coconut water or orange juice to keep my electrolyte levels up. I just haven't found anything better. Any sugar-free electrolyte supplement you can find will have artificial sweeteners and also will not have very much potassium.

Ferret
ferret
Posted 2010-02-27 8:56 AM (#121689 - in reply to #121672)

Another thing to keep in mind is iodine. People who are health conscious and exercise a lot and eat healthy are turning up with iodine deficiencies and thyroid problems because they have inadvertantly eleminated iodine from their diets. So remember that if you are a bikram yogi you need extra iodine, too, whether that comes in the form of iodized salt or a natural source.

Ferret
Jar
Posted 2010-02-27 11:46 AM (#121690 - in reply to #121672)

Regular

Fructose is processed differently than glucose. But glucose is processed in a good way, and fructose in a bad way. Unless you have fructose with fibre, that slows its processing and makes it a 'better' sugar. This is why its always better to have the piece of fruit than it is to drink a glass of its juice.

If you want to really get into it, do a search on youtube for "sugar, the bitter truth" which is a bit biased and some of his conclusions i dont agree with, but the overall aspect is correct.

I have not found a lot of electrlyte powders to not have sugar in them, but some are Nuun tablets, and Tablytes, eletewater, and there are others.

Jar
lockdaknee
Posted 2010-02-27 1:08 PM (#121692 - in reply to #121672)

Regular

thanks for the posts everyone! thanks ddj for that comprehensive report! that's really what i wanted to hear - that one can get their electrolytes in foods anyway. rf - i hear ya. i love the coconut water. for a long time i was like 'i'll eat and drink whatever i want after class!!'. these days i'm just trying to get hardcore about no sugar. thx.
Pamela0414
Posted 2010-08-14 2:55 PM (#124664 - in reply to #121672)
Subject: RE: sugar free electrolyte?

lockdaknee - 2010-02-26 2:12 PM

a post by dancing dj in the "water or not to water" thread got me thinkin' about electrolytes.

i don't even really know what an electrolyte is. all i know is that we are supposed to replace them after sweating like hell during class. i was drinking a ton of emergen c for the past couple of years but have learned that they are chock full of sugar, coconut water too. i'm trying to cut sugar out of diet. there is a sugar free alternative to emercen c called 'ultima' but that has aspartame which i consider to be gross.

does anyone know of a sugar free way to replace electrolytes?

thx

"Ultima Replenisher" Does not have Aspartame it is sweetened with Stevia. It also is a non-'fizzy' drink so it doesn't create gas and bloating. It is the best I have found for electrolyte replacement before, during, and after. Fizzy drinks cause me a lot of tummy trouble during spine strengthening series.

amyf
Posted 2010-08-28 10:07 AM (#124829 - in reply to #121672)

Veteran

ps I take my tab before and nothing after .... I just dont feel depleted, recovery well and move on with my day.
docnamrata81
Posted 2010-08-31 7:30 PM (#124870 - in reply to #124829)

Hey amyf
Which brand of electrolyte tab do u use?Just one a day brfore class is sufficient?
thanks
amyf
Posted 2010-09-04 10:05 AM (#124915 - in reply to #121672)

Veteran

tablytes and just one before class and im good to go
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)