YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Short description of Hatha Yoga Class?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

rexall
Posted 2010-02-28 7:12 AM (#121704)
Subject: Short description of Hatha Yoga Class?

Sun 28 Feb 10, 6:57 pm

Hi All,

I understand that the subject of Hatha Yoga is large and complex, and encompasses various styles of asana and pranyama.

However, at some studios in the West and elsewhere (Thailand, for example), yoga classes are often simply designated as "Hatha." In the particular studio I am thinking of, as distinguished from Vinyasa and Pravesh. The Hatha classes I have attended are maybe slower paced, a little more "static" than Vinyasa, but I can't really tell the difference. I am helping my teacher with some promotion.

On schedules is easy enough to explain Vinyasa and Pradesh as

Pradesh : Gentle/beginner
Hatha : ???
Vinyasa : Flowing

Is there a pithy way to describe this sort of Hatha yoga class?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Seeker101
Posted 2010-02-28 9:30 AM (#121706 - in reply to #121704)
Subject: Re: Short description of Hatha Yoga Class?

Veteran

I always describe it as "alignment based". To me it means that we do some flow and some holding (strength building) poses, but always with a focus on the correct alignment, breathe, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Posted 2010-02-28 12:13 PM (#121713 - in reply to #121704)

The word Hatha means force or violence in Sanskrit. In medieval India, "Hatha" yoga was widely practiced by mercenary soldiers. The term Hatha has been translated as Ha = sun and tha = moon in modern times, meaning the balancing of opposites. This is almost certainly not it's original meaning, but nonetheless one that I like a lot better as it better describes how asana practice has evolved.

Hatha yoga usually means asana practice (physical exercises) today. Hatha yoga can be Bikram, Iyengar, Astanga, Power, Anusara, Flow, Vinyasa Flow etc etc., i.e. any form of asana practice, including those forms that are not otherwise named.

Edited by jimg 2010-02-28 12:23 PM

Posted 2010-02-28 12:59 PM (#121716 - in reply to #121713)

The word "Yoga" meant yoking, as in yoking war horses to war chariots for many centuries before it transcended that meaning to become identified with yoking the individual self to the cosmic Self. It is not coincidental that Arjuna was a warrior and there are many war chariot metaphors used in the Mahabharata.

kristi
Posted 2010-03-01 11:34 AM (#121727 - in reply to #121704)
Subject: RE: Short description of Hatha Yoga Class?

Veteran

>>>>The term Hatha has been translated as Ha = sun and tha = moon in modern times

Jim, could you please give us a little more info on that?

i.e.
Do the words ha and tha (separated from each other) mean sun and moon in Sanskrit language or not ?
I searched Sanskrit dictionaries in the web, cannot find an answer…

And also:
What do you mean by “in modern times” ? Was it in our era ? Or earlier…?
And was this “new” translation/interpretation given by westerners or by Indians?

Posted 2010-03-01 1:00 PM (#121729 - in reply to #121727)

Hi Kristi,
Per Wikipedia "Hatha comes from combining the two Sanskrit terms "ha" meaning sun and "tha" meaning moon." I have also read this in numerous books, but that only means that it is often repeated, not that it is true. When I look ha and Tha up in the online Sanskrit Dictionary, I also cannot find those definitions, although both ha and Tha have definitions related to the moon.
"ha = the moon Tha = the moon's disk L."

I believe that the sun/moon definition is a 20th century definition, although I am not sure if it originated in India or the West. Anyway, since so many Indians are trying to be Westerners and so many Westerners are trying to be Indians, the distinction between the two often becomes blurry. (Not a criticism. We can all learn much from each other.)

If you seriously want to know more about the history and development of yoga, I would like to suggest reading two books: Yoga Body: The Origins of Modern Posture Practice by Mark Singleton (Paperback - Feb. 10, 2010) and Sinister Yogis by David Gordon White (Hardcover - Nov. 1, 2009). They clearly show a very different picture of the history and development of yoga than what is often portrayed in modern Western yoga classes. Both books are the result of serious research by highly respected scholars, not spiritual entrepreneurs. I consider both to be required reading for the serious student of yoga.
Jim
kristi
Posted 2010-03-02 12:28 PM (#121734 - in reply to #121704)

Veteran

Thanks Jim, I’ll try to get these books.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-03-04 3:37 PM (#121755 - in reply to #121729)

Extreme Veteran

I really appreciate jimg as an expert (here knowledgeable) yogi.
Thanks...

Posted 2010-03-04 5:34 PM (#121756 - in reply to #121755)

Thank you Yogacharya Tonmoy. Although I read a lot and am a serious student of both yoga and life, I am not an expert and have only limited knowledge. I only share my thoughts and experiences as I hope that others can profit from them in some way. This site is a great place to exchange ideas related to yoga.

The titles of "Expert Yogi" or "Veteran" or whatever are something that this website adds automatically based on how many times you have posted. Everyone who talks too much becomes an Expert Yogi here.

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-03-05 8:22 PM (#121765 - in reply to #121756)

Extreme Veteran

You are welcome. I know jimg, you are a serious student of both yoga and life. I also agree with you that this site is a great place to exchange ideas related to yoga. You know from many years I have been trying to keep in this great yoga community, unfortunately I failed to continue my membership with this site. That is due to some unwanted situation. Anyway, this time I have decided not to leave this community, even if you people kick me out, haha. I have been learning many things here from this community, from you people.

I also agree jimg, - That the titles of "Expert Yogi" or "Veteran" or whatever are something that this website ads automatically based on how many times one has posted. But, I have been reading your posts and find it very interesting and with full of knowledge. It actually requires a lot of study and practical practice together. I understand….
Thanks & best wishes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)