YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How experienced should you be before enrolling in training?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

prettycupcake
Posted 2010-03-22 2:10 PM (#122075)
Subject: How experienced should you be before enrolling in training?

I would like to become a Yoga teacher in the next 2 years, and am wondering how experienced a person is (generally) when they enroll into teacher training?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-03-22 2:21 PM (#122076 - in reply to #122075)
Subject: RE: How experienced should you be before enrolling in training?

Many teacher training courses require two years, some have no requirements and some require more.

Practically speaking, if you don't have a strong practice of several years, you probably won't understand a lot of what is presented.

Posted 2010-03-22 5:05 PM (#122080 - in reply to #122075)
Subject: Re: How experienced should you be before enrolling in training?

I second jimg Pretty (and welcome to the forums). I practiced for 3 years before going to a teacher training. There I meant a couple of women who had been actually practicing AND teaching for over a decade without going to an "official" training. I didn't go to learn about yoga but rather how to teach it--found that invaluable.

Posted 2010-03-23 1:56 AM (#122090 - in reply to #122080)

Hello Cupcake.

Could you provide a bit more context with which to answer your question?
As both Bruce and Jim have mentioned, there are varying degrees of "experience" for those enrolling into teacher training AND there are varying teacher "trainings".
Seeker101
Posted 2010-03-23 2:58 PM (#122099 - in reply to #122090)

Veteran

It's a great question! I just finished my first (and I say first because it is the beginning of my education, not the end) formal teacher training (one year 200 hour level) and I was amazed at the varying levels of practice in our group.

Some people had a strong yoga practice for many years, some had a strong yoga practice for a few years, some had been teaching for years but without certificaiton, and some (and this I found concerning) had no regular or strong yoga practice and thought that a teacher training course would still be able to certify them to teach.

For me personally, I didn't think about teaching until someone asked me to teach. Then I realized that I wanted to learn anatomy and theory before I would take on that responsiblity. But everyone comes to it differently. I would ask you what is drawing you to teaching and what you hope to get from a certification. That may be your best guide about whether you are ready.

Posted 2010-03-23 3:11 PM (#122101 - in reply to #122099)

Seeker101 - 2010-03-23 11:58 AM

I just finished my first (and I say first because it is the beginning of my education, not the end) formal teacher training

Thank you for saying the above. It cannot be said too often that teacher trainings are the first and not the final step in becoming a yoga teacher.
carrieberry
Posted 2010-07-23 4:31 PM (#124263 - in reply to #122075)

I was introduced to yoga when I was nine years old. I practiced regularly with my mother and/or grandmother for twenty years. After losing my grandmother, I sought out a class setting for the first time in my life. I took one FREE INTRO class at a studio and signed up for their YTT 200 two weeks later.

While I had plenty of "experience", I had never been "taught" anything proper. I knew NO Sanskrit and no proper alignment. I was FINE in class. Everyone else was beyond me but that's ok. I honored where I was and stuck to my mat the days we weren't in class.

Remember, we tell our students that yoga is NOT a competition! :0)

Posted 2010-07-24 4:17 PM (#124281 - in reply to #124263)

carrieberry - 2010-07-23 1:31 PM

Remember, we tell our students that yoga is NOT a competition! :0)

Unfortunately not everyone "teaching" yoga feels this way or imparts the practice to their students in this way. But that is an entirely different topic :-)

Edited by purnayoga 2010-07-24 4:18 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)