YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

YTT questions
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Foxinthesnow
Posted 2010-04-10 5:45 AM (#122318)
Subject: YTT questions

(Yes, this has to do somewhat with YogaFit - but it's not the same "what are your opinions" thread, so bear with me)

I've done a lot of research into YTT courses in my area. While there are a lot of fantastic schools in my area, I simply can't afford the programs. I've looked into payment plans,etc. Nothing I can swing without a student loan.

So, yes it now comes to YogaFit. There has been some great discussion on this board and I am well versed in the pros and cons of this program. The pros are obvious to me.

However, I wanted to know from the gallery how to lessen the cons. Many have said that there is a lack of true yogic focus to the program. This is not too much of a problem, because I naturally steer toward books like "Light on Yoga" and "Bhagavad Gita". And to learn the poses in Sanskrit doesn't scare me.

The argument has been YogaFit's lack of clear alignment. I want to try to head that issue off at the pass. I'm a massage therapist, so anatomy is a no brainer (let me digress for one second, I don't get how most YTT programs won't accept my prior anatomy training-over 90 hrs- when their anatomy classes are so paltry-guess it's a YA thing, end of digression).

I was wondering, being that I would be doing YogaFit, if there are any supplemental courses, books, etc that would help me fill in the gaps that YogaFit's YTT might have? I know some say Yogafit is a complete program, just my opinion of Beth's book there are some examples that just didn't seem to be correct in my uneducated eyes

Oh, even with going through YTT, I will still be attending my regular yoga class as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-04-10 3:41 PM (#122330 - in reply to #122318)
Subject: Re: YTT questions

So if I understand you correctly, and please feel free to constructively correct me, you want to take a training that you know is inadequate because you can afford it AND would like to do other work on your own to make up for the training's inadequacy?

What is missing for me here is your intention. Perhaps you can say more about that in a follow-up? From a yogic perspective there must be clarity of intention, which you may very well have. However an answer for you when you are a) going to deepen your personal practice, b) going to increase your earnings at a local gym or fitness center, or c) going to safely and effectively share yoga with others for the purpose of their growth as human beings are all very different answers.

I am not specifically aware of any books which will teach you the alignment principles Beth may not. Anatomy would not be enough, for several reasons, the least of which is the difference in viewpoints between anatomists and kinesiologists - not to mention some gross misunderstandings in both areas relative to the application of the body in yoga. However, based on my training experience, an anatomy background can be very helpful.

Having not taken a YFT I can't really speak to the gaps. Though its an amusing concept that someone can be trained to teach yoga in a weekend.

Edited by purnayoga 2010-04-10 3:42 PM

Posted 2010-04-10 5:46 PM (#122333 - in reply to #122330)

To be fair to YogaFit here, their training program as per their website is:

Requirements for the YogaFit’s 200 Hour Yoga Fitness Instructor Training
The following Trainings comprise the fitness instructor trainings you are required to complete in order to qualify for YogaFit’s 200-hour Yoga Alliance-approved Training Program. To ensure your request form is processed in a timely manner, please retain copies of your Certificates of Completion for each of the following mandatory training programs.

Mandatory program components:

• Level 1
• Level 2
• Level 3
• YogaFit Seniors
• Anatomy and Alignment
• Level 4
• Level 5
• One additional specialty training: YogaFit Pre/Postnatal or Yogafit Kids!

All of our fitness instructor trainings require home work and/or home study that comprise the remaining non-contact hours required by Yoga Alliance. In addition, the following must be turned in at the time you apply to YogaFit for RYT completion/approval. Mandatory Homework – This will be assigned at your Level 4 Training:

• One-Page regarding what you feel/think is the most important lesson presented in the Bhagavad Gita (p.58 Level 4 Manual).

• One-Page identifying 3 Gita passages that each poetically express the essence of a sutra (p. 58 Level 4 Manual).
-end of YogaFit web info-

Each course is two to four days I think. Yes, if you just take Level I it is only one weekend, but I'm pretty sure that YogaFit only considers that first course an intoduction, not a complete teacher training.

Foxinthesnow
Posted 2010-04-10 8:22 PM (#122334 - in reply to #122330)

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your feedback on this matter.

Let me be clear, if I waited until I had all the money to attend massage school (over $7000) without the help of student loans, I would have never have gone. I'm glad I was able to, because I feel I'm a pretty damn good massage therapist.

I would absolutely love to go to a 9 month YTT at a local studio, unfortunately, I don't have $3500 laying around. I have researched high and low for a local school that offers a payment plan. There are none out there in my local area that meet the criteria of 1) not taking a full month off to study and/or 2) offer a reasonable payment plan. Of course there are weekend programs, but then there's the whole pay for tuition upfront. Unfortunately, many schools don't have financial aid.

I look at it this way. I love yoga. I love what it does for me. I love what it does for other people. It is extremely profound. I don't want to make it my main income. However, I do want to be able to 1) deepen my own practice and 2) be able to offer it to others that don't have access or the money to afford it. I have absolutely NO desire to work for a gym or a studio full time. I only want to be able to share what I learned in a correct manner ala "do no harm". Also, in my state as a massage therapist we can't give stretching instructions to clinics - which to me is asinine - but even a cert in YogaFit could hold the state dogs at bay if they for some reason come knocking.

All I want to do is be able to share what I learned in yoga and massage to help people get back "into" their bodies. Nothing more.

As mentioned in other posts YogaFit might be completely perfect for others and unsuitable for others. A lot has to do with the instruction and how talented the student is. The massage school I went to was wonderful, but that doesn't mean some people who graduated weren't crap massage therapist.

As for teaching yoga in a weekend. I see your point, but then again I would also say in massage there are weekend trainings in certain modalities that can be learn ( in module format) over a weekend, which a completely ok by the National Board. So, if you are only learning one simple program and practicing that program every day and then start implementing that one program you can become proficient in that *one* program. I have never used a massage modality out "in public" until I have practiced it over and over again with friends to work all the kinks out. That is how I would approach this.

I don't know if that helped you with your question of intent, but that's all I have to offer.
Foxinthesnow
Posted 2010-04-10 8:26 PM (#122335 - in reply to #122333)

"Each course is two to four days I think. Yes, if you just take Level I it is only one weekend, but I'm pretty sure that YogaFit only considers that first course an intoduction, not a complete teacher training. "

jimg,yes, you are absolutely correct. They only consider it qualified to teach Level I and that's it. But you don't get your Level I until you do you community service. So, you are completely correct a 1 weekend course does not a complete YTT make!

Posted 2010-04-11 3:10 PM (#122340 - in reply to #122318)

I don't want to get bogged down in the nuances of training, its requirements, and semantics. Anyone who wants to read the requirements, expectations, and subsequent awarded certificate can do so here.

{rhetorically posed:} Do massage schools offering a modular system award a teaching certificate in that modality upon completion of the weekend (and community service)? Or, put another way, would you allow a student who trained in craniosacral (over a weekend) to work on you with no other training at all AND expect that to be done with safety and efficacy?

So Fox, are you asking "the gallery" about the Level I training or the 200-hour training? You've cited three intentions; deepen your practice, offer it others who don't have access/money, and be able to provide stretching instruction without reproach from government oversight. It seems likely that you would be able to touch the last two of these through a level I training though I doubt that a pre-existing yoga practice would be deepened by this curricula (20+8 hours). The 200 hour training would logically provide more - however I'm unsure if either of them facilitates a "sharing" with safety. I'd actually have to look at the entire curricula to determine that.

If you are leaning toward the Level I training AND you are applying the "one program to proficiency" concept that you mention, I wonder how long you hope to sustain your teaching? How would your massage therapy practice go if you were limited to effleurage and could go no further?

I completely understand how this training could serve you and the others you will encounter though I think these are things to contemplate before leaping in. In this way you can make a mindful decision. And, after all, Yoga isn't about perfect choices, jut mindful ones.

Edited by purnayoga 2010-04-11 3:17 PM

Posted 2010-04-12 3:11 AM (#122341 - in reply to #122340)

also, FWIW, by the time you complete the yoga fit training (for the 200 hr level), you have spent more money than if you just did a regular training.

so, perhaps waiting until you can afford the training at the studio would be a better option--financally and otherwise.
lashannasmall
Posted 2010-04-29 10:01 PM (#122604 - in reply to #122318)

Wait until you can afford. Save up your money and do a good program. I know people who have taken sucky teacher trainings. Trust me, you will regret it. Yoga Fit teaches you how to instruct yoga at the gym. Yes it is RYT but I know some people who did yoga fit and trust me, it is gym yoga. They are now trying to do workshops to make up for it. They don't know how to assist or adjust and their classes are mostly the same few standing postures with very little floor work because that is how they were taught. Unless you are in to the gym yoga thing, don't do it. Just save your money and practice with someone who inspires you.

Also, it can take you YEARS to recoup the money you spend in teacher training. If you are going to do it, do a program you love, that way if you dont' teach or you don't make any money teaching, it was still worth it.
samantha77
Posted 2010-05-27 12:17 PM (#123163 - in reply to #122318)
Subject: RE: YTT questions

Extreme Veteran

Hi! I just saw this thread, and I am not sure if you are still looking into this but will post my two cents anyway. I did the level 1 Yoga Fit TT, and it is clearly not meant to be an all inclusive TT. The trainer that ran my weekend flat out said on the first day that this should be the beginning of the journey, and that we should all be careful about just running out and teaching yoga after one weekend. Since then I have been in a similar situation as you. Do I continue on the YogaFit path, or wait until I can save for a tt held by a studio. I have opted to wait until I can afford a 9 month program, (and have been lucky enough to find one that offers a payment plan). These were my main reasons for my decision: As Zoebird mentioned, by the time you pay for all the individual Yogafit courses, you'll have paid more than if you just enrolled in a 9 month program. Also, by the time you finish Yogafit's program, you'll have had a multitude of teacher trainers and none of them will know you very well. In a continuous program, you'll have the guidance on one, or a team of teacher trainers who will truly get to know you. It is very expensive to get certified, but I am determined to make it happen for myself! Do you have Yoga works near you, or a studio that hosts a Yoga works training? I believe they offer payment plans. Or you could even approach a studio you are interested in. They may work something out for you.
Hope this helps, and good luck to you
Samantha
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)