YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weird tailbone thing.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

yogabear
Posted 2010-04-25 10:05 AM (#122510)
Subject: Weird tailbone thing.

Regular

This may be completely unrelated to ashtanga, but here it goes. [Background: I do ashtanga every day with proper rest days, etc.]

I have the weirdest sensation at the bottom of my spine, at the tailbone. It feels like I sat down on it really hard. It's not painful, just feels strange.

It wasn't like this when I left for shala this morning, so it may have been something i did.

Has anyone else experienced something similar after practice? The only thing I can think of that is relatively new is "falling" into chaturanga from shirsasana, though I do this every other day or so. I also added Noose pose during Chair (to add a bit of shodhana ;)).

Thoughts?

Edited by yogabear 2010-04-25 10:08 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Iraputra
Posted 2010-05-11 1:26 PM (#122831 - in reply to #122510)
Subject: RE: Weird tailbone thing.

Veteran

Let me first state that I am rather clueless to this one, but I have given it some thought, simply because of curiosity.

There are a few muscles that attach to os coccyx (the tailbone):
 • Gluteus maximus (lowest part of the upper origin)
 • Levator ani, Coccygeus & Sphincter ani externus (pelvic floor)
... and ligaments:
 • Sacrotuberous & Sacrospinous (the latter is a fibrous part of the coccygeus muscle)
 • Sacrococcygeal ligaments; the posterior and the laterals

The big glute is basically a major part of what is called ham on pigs. The "ani" means of the anus (around the asshole). "Sacro-" refers to Sacrum, the triangular bone (of five fused vertebrae), i.e. the back mid-section of the pelvis at the bottom of the spinal column, which bears the weight of the upper body through the sacroiliac joints, the hip bones and down the legs through the hip joints. The gluteus maximus is attached to the upper hip bones (posterior iliac spine and the adjacent parts of the iliac crest), the back-side of the sacrum and the side of the tailbone (coccyx) — and of course to the thighbone (femur), and through the iliotibial tract (merging with Tensor fascia lata on the lateral side of the thigh) down to the shinbone by the knee.

So, if any of these muscles and ligaments exert rather a lot of force on the tailbone, you might get some sensation from it. My guess would be from force through gluteus maximus or the sacrotuberous ligament, maybe both, and possibly by extreme abduction of the femurs, as in  Upavishta Konasana or Supta Konasana. I don't however see that as the most likely cause, unless one is doing asanas in a pushy way or with less than good alignment; or maybe it really is from taking on a new posture, like pashasana, and then you should be fine as long as the weird feeling remains a minor temporary nuissance that will soon pass. But then, don't you get a similar sensation from Marichyasana C & D? Well, what do I know — I'm only guessing here.

It could on the other hand be caused by compression of nerve roots (in the spine).

Most injuries to the tailbone is caused by trauma, like accidently falling on your ass, but it could also happen by friction/contact in bicycling or rowing — or by jumping through your arms to a sitting position (if not lowering down gently), which again is unlikely as you would need to land at least a foot or so in front of your hands — or do you have a long tail?

yogabear
Posted 2010-05-11 6:58 PM (#122834 - in reply to #122510)
Subject: Re: Weird tailbone thing.

Regular

Thank you for the in-depth and detailed reply!

This left as quickly as it came. And funny you mentioned the konasana possibility, because I did get a rather hefty assist in that pose. It felt great but I think it may have stretched out one of those tiny muscles you mention. Again, it's all gone now.

The inferior part of my body doesn't move when I do marichasana, or else I won't do the bind. I think that was the week I had omitted binds, though. So I will be on the look-out during those poses.
yogabear
Posted 2010-05-11 7:42 PM (#122836 - in reply to #122510)
Subject: Re: Weird tailbone thing.

Regular

I haven't fallen on my tailbone, and it wasn't exactly like the bruised-coccyx feeling that most if not all of us have experienced in the past. Lol @ the long tail. I have a fairly longish coccyx :rolleyes:
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)