YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sequencing...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

vibes
Posted 2010-05-08 4:30 PM (#122784 - in reply to #122778)
Subject: Re: Sequencing...

Extreme Veteran

When you bring your hand to your mouth, your biceps contract while your triceps lengthen. We only move because we have a relationship between flexion and extension and the self image in the motor cortex area of your brain. Otherwise you have to put your face in a bowl and eat like a cat which can be messy but fun. No matter how strong/flexiblie you are, if you dont have a good balance between flexion/extension/awareness/self-image you cant move well.

to sit cross legged in comfort we need a good understanding of flexion and extension to be upright. If you are well organized you can take your hand to your mouth or do crab without warming up (as my daughter and myself does) without any problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-05-09 2:05 AM (#122795 - in reply to #122784)

vibes - 2010-05-08 1:30 PM

No matter how strong/flexiblie you are, if you dont have a good balance between flexion/extension/awareness/self-image you cant move well.

If you need awareness and self-image to move, how do people sleep walk without bumping into things or falling? When you touch a hot stove, is it your awareness or self-image that pulls your hand away? (You pull your hand away faster than it takes for the nerve impulse to travel to your brain, let alone then decide to send a message to your hand to remove it.)

You don't have conscious control over the balance between flexion and extension. You shorten one muscle and the opposing muscle automatically lengthens.
vibes
Posted 2010-05-09 4:21 AM (#122797 - in reply to #122795)

Extreme Veteran

In sleep walking the motor cortex is involved. The hot stove thing is a nerve impulse as you said. Sitting cross legged isnt a nerve impulse. I can consciously extend my triceps while flexing my biceps - doest meant im a yoga master. Most people can do it, just by thinking of moving hand to mouth. Have a go- Its fun with a doughnut.

Posted 2010-05-09 1:11 PM (#122805 - in reply to #122797)

Just because you think that you are lengthening your triceps does not mean that you are consciously lengthening them. You can visualize anything you want; that does not make a cause/effect relationship. Your mind decides it wants to eat that doughnut, it flexes your biceps and your triceps automatically lengthen to allow the hand to move to your mouth. If people could consciously control the opposing muscle's lengthening, they would be unable to move smoothly as it would not move in exact synchronization to the muscle being flexed. The flexed biceps are an action. The lengthening triceps is an automatic reaction.

You can be conscious of the lengthening of the triceps, but you cannot consciously lengthen them. In fact, your hand does not come to your mouth because you decide to flex your biceps. You flex your biceps because you want to bring your hand to your mouth. All muscular movement requires one muscle to flex and the opposing muscle to extend. Your conscious mind controls the movement, but not the individual muscle impulses. Your conscious mind decides where you want to drive your car, not how the engine works. When you want to stop, your conscious mind decides to step on the brake and that intention and that action cause your brakes to slow the wheels. Your conscious mind does not operate the brake mechanism, it operates the brake pedal. Although you may be conscious of how the brake mechanism works as you press the brakes, your conscious mind does not work the brakes. It only directs your foot to press the brake pedal.

There are a lot more muscles than your biceps and triceps are involved to bring that doughnut to your mouth (and not your eye or ear). They work together in perfect harmony (in healthy people) because they are programmed to do so, not because our conscious minds control those actions. Otherwise, animals who are not conscious would be unable to eat and policemen would be unable to consume doughnuts.

vibes
Posted 2010-05-09 1:32 PM (#122806 - in reply to #122805)

Extreme Veteran

Some of what you say is in line with the latest neurosciences but some isnt.
vibes
Posted 2010-05-09 1:50 PM (#122808 - in reply to #122806)

Extreme Veteran

Also like to add- Ive never seen an unconscious animal or an unconscious policeman eat anything yet alone doughnuts. Being unconscious is the opposite of being conscious. I mentioned in another post (yoga for beginners, maybe stillness - I think) something about self image something which may help you understand it better.
Lanabean
Posted 2010-05-15 5:50 PM (#122902 - in reply to #122525)
Subject: RE: Sequencing...

Centering
warm-up (cat cow, etc)
Sun Breaths
Standing External
Standing Neutral
Standing Internal
Balances/Arm Balances
Back Bends (If I'm working on inversions as far as TEACHING them, I usually do that here, after back bends)
Hip Openers
Seated Core
Seated Poses
Savasana
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)