YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hamstring Strength - stabalising knee
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

jay
Posted 2010-04-30 9:05 AM (#122615)
Subject: Hamstring Strength - stabalising knee

Hi all,

A little background about me, I've always been a keen athlete playing a number of sports but 3 years ago I tore my ACL. It's been 18 months since I had the reconstruction and things are going well. I took up Astanga yoga a year ago and practice at home a few times a week while attending one class at the local school.

The problem I'm having is with my left hamstring. I mainly worked as a supply teacher and was on my feet all day. Don't get any problems with my knee then, but recently I've started an office job and sitting in a chair all day is taking it's toll on my knee. After seeing a physio I was told my left hamstring is very weak, especially in the flexion position, she gave me a few exercises to do which are ok but I'm not really feeling a great deal.

Recently I've started general fitness training, alot of it running based and yesterday I over did it. My knee is still strong and stable but incredibly painful and tight. It got me thinking as throughout the training my knee felt great. Lately I've been doing alot of leg/knee based yoga routines, such as Warriors and seated Half Lotus positions and I wonder if that could have caused something.

The yoga teachers at the school I attend don't have any experience with ACLs and can't give me much advice. I was reading that some yoga stances can be bad for ACL knees. I don't practice any knee twists particularly, or anything that is knee focused. Problem is I need to build my hamstring to stop this persisting. Can anyone recommend hamstring routines or positions I should be avoiding?

Thanks

Jay
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)