YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

studio managing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yoga-addict
Posted 2010-05-06 1:34 AM (#122713)
Subject: studio managing

Veteran

I teach classes at a studio in a city close to where I live- about a 25 minute train ride away. I've been asked by the studio owner to manage the studio for a few weeks while they are on vacation. I would be teaching the majority of the classes which are in the evenings and mornings and 7 days a week. I have no idea what I should ask for in compensation for this. Should I ask a lump sum for the 3 weeks or an hourly fee? It is normal that I think there should be some salary in addition to the classes taught? Because it is in another city it would require a fair amount of time and travel on my part.
Any insight would be appreciated.
thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-05-06 3:47 AM (#122715 - in reply to #122713)
Subject: Re: studio managing

While I would certainly consider what it is worth to me to manage the studio in their absence and thereby determine what value I place on my time, I would also put this in their court. Allow them to tell you what value they place by outlining the compensation they have in mind for your added contribution.

As to whether it is "normal" or not, I really wish we could get away from this normal thingie. In yoga we are trying to realize our potential as human beings. In looking around there is nothing normal about that whatsoever. But I understand your point. It is what it is. There are certainly times where I give of myself for a lerger picture than my small story. And of course I still need to eat and pay rent. So there has to be a balance and that balance is different from person to person, situation to situation.

Posted 2010-05-07 7:56 AM (#122745 - in reply to #122713)

First enumerate the duties. If it is just teaching more classes and nothing else, then i think compensation for the classes alone is fair. but if it is more than this, then you need to know *how much more*.

When i ahve "subbed" management for other studio owners, there were a lot more responsibilities. One responsibility was making sure that the environment was always secure--that is, if someone was locked out, i had to be thre to let them in, and if someone couldn't lock up, i had to be there to lock up. It is the same at my current studio. Even though i left at 5, the other two massage therapists were there until 7 or so. They have to lock up the offices and they have to lock the elevator (locking the floor). If they are unable to (lost or forgotten key, etc), then i have to go down and do that!

Another aspect was making sure that all of the classes had teachers covering. this means that if someone suddenly couldn't make it, i would make sure that someone could cover. It could be me, but it could also be anyone else--but it might take an hour or so to find them. I would also need to know the "lead time" that people need. For example, in my business, i know that if someone wants a massage "in an hour" and everyone normally there is booked, i have to call a "pinch hitter" and make sure a room is available too. Assuming the room is available, i call that pinch hitter and ask if they are available. I ask them to call back by a certain time, because that client wants a massage in an hour. But i only call those therapists who can be there within the hour. I have several who need at least 2 hrs just to get organized and get into town; i have others who can be in the office in 30 minutes if they are at home or near home when i call. So, it's good to know what each teacher's "lead time" is as well.

Another aspect is managing client issues. You'll need to know how to handle conflicts, refunds, and a variety of other topics. Another would be how to manage issues of the facility--like if the toilet explodes, who is their common plumber or what is the name and number of the land lord?

Depending upon the level of responsibility that you have--you might decide that a lump sum is fine, or you might agree to an hourly rate for "managerial duties" which will reflect the work that you had to do, even unforeseen.

Or, you may decide upon a combination, wherein you get a sort of "per diem" for travel, or where travel expenses are included in the hourly.

there are lots of ways to go about it, but you have to be clear about what your duties are or will be. You might also need to be specifically named as an agent of the business for the duration for legal purposes (eg, to call the insurance company if something crazy happens and they need to get in to make repairs).

I would just ask them what the duties are, then talk about how they are looking at compensation issues. From there, i would see how i felt, negotiate a number that makes more sense to me if necessary, and make sure that i get adequate training on how they do things before they leave (i might also ask for compensation for this aspect).

My husband and i are planning a month-long vacation in Nov/Dec, and looking at leaving a person in charge of the facility while we are away. She will be trained and compensated during this time. It is important to us that she feel confident and cmofortable in the role and with the compensation.

Posted 2010-05-07 5:53 PM (#122763 - in reply to #122713)
Subject: RE: studio managing

Nicole,
I would either ask for my normal hourly rate for whatever time I actually spent (including additional travel above what you normally do) plus expenses (train tickets etc) OR add up the minimum hours that it will take (including travel, setup time before class, locking up, etc) and also the maximum (including possible emergencies). I would multiply that number by at least what I made per hour teaching and have a minimum and a maximum from which to negotiate, keeping as close to the maximum as possible. The goal here is not to maximize what you earn and possibly make the owners resentful, but you also do not want to minimize yourself and you be resentful later. If you negotiate openly with them, explaining what you calculated and why, you are more likely to end up with a win/win situation where both parties are happy. Keep in mind that you probably want to continue your relationship with them when they come back, but also that you do not undervalue yourself. You are a trained professional (or they would not be asking you) and should be reimbursed as such. If you are open and honest with them they will probably be open and honest with you; if they aren't, then you probably want to work somewhere else anyway. Hope this helps.
Namaste,
Jim
yoga-addict
Posted 2010-05-08 8:59 AM (#122773 - in reply to #122713)

Veteran

thank you so much- all 3 answers are very helpful!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)