YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scoliosis & possible carpal tunnel syndrome
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

Astrid
Posted 2010-05-09 6:40 PM (#122811)
Subject: Scoliosis & possible carpal tunnel syndrome

Hi,

Not new here; but, just registered . I am hoping someone with more experience than me can help me out. I am a Yoga instructor for 2 yrs now. Have studied yoga for 10 yrs. In my journey through yoga I use to practice every day for about a half and hour to 45 mins. As my practice improved I went to 3 days a week for about hour and a half each time. My practice is advance however, since my injury 2 mths ago I stop doing advance yoga. It's gone so far down to beginner yoga using props. It's upsetting and I do not think I will get back to where I was before because, it most likely cause my damage than good.

I was recently diagnosed w/ Scoliosis of the upper spine. Before this I was diagnosed with lower back scoliosis 6 years ago. Since doing yoga my lower back has not affected me any longer. My upper spine was fine during that time from what the x-rays showed. I recently had new x-rays taken and scoliosis of the upper back has appeared.

Now, I have been told that spinal twist, triangle pose, side stretches aren't good for scoliosis because, they do more damage . I do not do back bends, head stand, fish pose due to my back. Crow poses and side crow hurts but, not my back -my elbow, same with peacock asana (do to possiible carpal tunnel). What's worst I can't even go through a normal sun salutations. Chataranga and Ashtanga Namaskara are very painful. I have done variations of this pose by bending my knees but, the pain is in the elbow and upper back not lower back. It helps a little but still with some pain.

Anyway, since my routine has completely changed now I find myself looking online for yoga practioners that teach for scoliosis. Anyone out here can direct me to someone in NYC area. I've seen videos online which is a good start but, I rather work with someone that knows this type of injury and misalignment.

Trying to stay positive, seeing a sports medicine doctor, chiropactor and possible regular physical therapy. Anyone with some serious background on this would be helpful. At this point I feel as though my yoga career may be over. I hope and pray not. Thank you
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-05-09 7:42 PM (#122812 - in reply to #122811)
Subject: Re: Scoliosis & possible carpal tunnel syndrome

iyengar yoga institute of new york

Posted 2010-06-27 3:22 PM (#123717 - in reply to #122811)
Subject: Re: Scoliosis & possible carpal tunnel syndrome

Hello Astrid. Are you still checking in on this thread?
georgeshoemoney
Posted 2010-08-06 1:59 AM (#124540 - in reply to #122811)
Subject: RE: Scoliosis & possible carpal tunnel syndrome

Different results may have been obtained in further scoliosis and exercise studies by altering the variables of the original study. This would include such factors as using different exercises (such as yoga or Pilates), more frequent exercise sessions, a longer study duration, subjects with more or less severe cases of scoliosis
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)