YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

weight loss/injury with bikram yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

docnamrata81
Posted 2010-07-02 8:29 PM (#123872)
Subject: weight loss/injury with bikram yoga

Hello everyone
I am a newbie at yoga, started with a yoga dvd 2 weeks ago, I already feel I am getting stronger and can hold poses better.
I am 135 lbs and looking to lose weight with yoga.I want to try Bikram yoga but have a few queries :

1.I have heard that Bikram yoga is great for weight loss and burns a lot of calories.Is that true?But wont your body gain resistance(aka poses lose their effectivity) if you practise the same 26 asanas and 2 breathing exercises each session?

2.The bikram yoga studio close to where I stay has same classes for beginners/intermediate/advanced.Is that ok to just drop into a class and get started specially when I havnt been practising yoga for that long?Should it be done by advanced yogis only?

3.Any long term risks like overuse injuries to joints/ligaments because of repeated sessions in such high heat?

thanks for answering my zillion questions
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-07-05 4:07 AM (#123929 - in reply to #123872)
Subject: Re: weight loss/injury with bikram yoga

Hey there!

There is only one level of Bikram yoga class, and it is "Bikram's beginning yoga class." There will be more experienced students in the class, but it is specifically designed for beginners, no yoga experience necessary! The postures in the series were picked out for out-of-shape Westerners with bad backs and bad knees who had never done yoga before.

Your body doesn't acclimate to the postures the same that it does if you lift weights or something like that, because it's a total body workout - you are always going through different muscle groups. More importantly, your body changes every day, so even though the postures stay the same, your work-out is different every single time!

If you follow the instructions and stay hydrated, there aren't really any risks. It's GREAT for your joints.

Just head on in! We could chat on here all day, but if you go ahead and take classes for a week or two, that will answer most of your questions automatically.
docnamrata81
Posted 2010-07-06 10:31 PM (#123972 - in reply to #123872)

Thank you.
KenPol
Posted 2010-08-09 1:41 PM (#124586 - in reply to #123929)

thedancingj - 2010-07-05 4:07 AM

Hey there!

There is only one level of Bikram yoga class, and it is "Bikram's beginning yoga class." There will be more experienced students in the class, but it is specifically designed for beginners, no yoga experience necessary! The postures in the series were picked out for out-of-shape Westerners with bad backs and bad knees who had never done yoga before.

Your body doesn't acclimate to the postures the same that it does if you lift weights or something like that, because it's a total body workout - you are always going through different muscle groups. More importantly, your body changes every day, so even though the postures stay the same, your work-out is different every single time!

If you follow the instructions and stay hydrated, there aren't really any risks. It's GREAT for your joints.

Just head on in! We could chat on here all day, but if you go ahead and take classes for a week or two, that will answer most of your questions automatically.

Great info. Just to answer your first question, bikram does burn a lot of calories. I think like 500-800 per class or something like that. It definitely helps you with your weight.

- K
Posted 2010-08-10 9:08 AM (#124597 - in reply to #123872)

Veteran

of course that does depend on the studio and the heat they keep it at.... some are very diff than others
Jar
Posted 2010-08-10 11:05 PM (#124604 - in reply to #123872)

Regular

Id say the calories burned is a lot more dependent on the effort you put in, not the temperature.
High temp will cause you to sweat more and lose more weight in the class from dehydration, but the permanent weight loss from calorie burn is from effort not heat.

The weight loss from dehydration is put back on by the next day
amyf
Posted 2010-08-10 11:44 PM (#124605 - in reply to #123872)

Veteran

The heat makes your whole system and heart work harder to keep your body cool (wink) I've worn monitors and trust me there is a big diff between temps
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)