YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neti Neti
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-07-28 9:03 AM (#124326)
Subject: Neti Neti

Within the context of Gyan Yoga, the Yoga of Wisdom Discernment, there exists a technique that is not very known in western circles of spirituality, but it is enormously significant and powerful. It is Neti Neti and it means "not this, not this", or "neither this, nor that".

It is a technique that reveals, by negating each temporary experience of perception or mind identification, that which is beneath each experience.

Here is how it works: Each time you have a perception, such as a thought, experience of the senses, feeling or emotion, you stop for a moment and you reflect by thinking in response, "I am not this thought, I am not this body sensation, I am not this emotion." You do this continuously. Of course, you have to catch each changing perception. Since perception and the levels of perception change all the time, you have to continuously alter your response. "I am not this itching of my nose, I am not this worry thought, I am not the perception of the sound of traffic", etc. You have to stay very alert.

You can practice this in sitting meditation or as you pass through the day.

This method relates to experiences that are neutral, negative or positive. It is human to look at ones's negative experiences and want to say, sure I am not this - sigh of relief - and actually it is surprisingly healing in the way of getting past pain.

However, if a person has powerful positive experiences, such as great joy, or is wealthy and famous, the mind will not be happy to practice saying, "I am not my powerful position." Since we really LOVE to identify with this stuff. So, to use this method when you are flying high... will bring enormous revelations that will take you beyond the flying high. It will simply take you beyond high and low.

This method is hugely powerful if you can stay with it. As said, it will bring to you astounding insights as you peel the onion of your existence. Copyright 2010 Andreas Mamet

www.teachingsinparis.blogspot.com

Andreas Mamet shares the Dharma on Facebook

Edited by AndreasMamet 2010-07-28 9:04 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-07-29 1:21 PM (#124358 - in reply to #124326)
Subject: RE: Neti Neti

Although I have read this concept and terminology in various sources before, I believe that it cannot be repeated too often. Thank you.

Letting go of your self image allows remarkable freedom and creativity!

As you noted, you must let go of the positive AND the negative aspects as they are just differing judgements about the same thing; the memory of experience and the resulting projected self image.

As long as we are slavishly bound to a self image that we must maintain for ourselves and for others, we can never be free.

AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-07-29 1:55 PM (#124359 - in reply to #124326)
Subject: Re: Neti Neti

What have you experienced with this practice???

Posted 2010-07-30 1:53 PM (#124375 - in reply to #124359)

AndreasMamet - 2010-07-29 10:55 AM

What have you experienced with this practice???

Increased freedom and creativity, decreased stress and tension. The basic or fundamental more clearly in view and the exterior or superficial less important. i.e. Seeing the detail, but more within the context of the "big picture." A greater sense of both balance and quiet and a resulting feeling of increased energy. A better understanding of who I am, as opposed to who I want to project I am (to myself and/or the world).

I find that I am also less often offended or negatively impacted by what others may do or say to me, as I know that it is my imaginary self image that they have praised or insulted, not me. This helps me not try to get praise and avoid criticism as much, which is very freeing.

A better balance between being and becoming.

When I negate the words and descriptions of myself, I am left with my actual self, instead of a compilation of self imposed memories, words and imagined qualities that define and imprison.

It is the same as observing a flower without naming, memory, desire, comparing, judging or otherwise experiencing words in your head or emotions from the past about the flower, instead of just experiencing the flower itself in this unique moment in time. The words in our heads are useful tools for many things, but I try to save them for those times and tasks where they are actually useful, instead of keeping them at full volume all the time. To actually experience the flower, I must see it new and fresh, without preconceived ideas about myself or the flower.

Edited by jimg 2010-07-30 2:03 PM
AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-07-30 2:46 PM (#124376 - in reply to #124326)

Good. So please tell me, when you experience your actual self... how is that like? What happens?

Posted 2010-07-30 4:02 PM (#124377 - in reply to #124376)

AndreasMamet - 2010-07-30 11:46 AM

Good. So please tell me, when you experience your actual self... how is that like? What happens?

This is very difficult to put into words as it is not an intellectual experience per se.

Just as we all know what pleasure or pain feel like, it is difficult to describe to another what your own unique experience felt like, especially if you were not recording it into memory as words.

AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-07-30 4:22 PM (#124378 - in reply to #124326)

Well, why don't you try.

Posted 2010-07-30 4:36 PM (#124379 - in reply to #124378)

Although I could repeat to you what others have said or a verbal re-creation of my memory of an experience, it would again be repeating words in my head, not the substance of a non-verbal experience.

I already mentioned some of the tangible results that I have noticed. Any recitation of words is 'not that'. Any words in my head are "not that" and therefore any words that I could relate to you would not the the actual.

AndreasMamet
Posted 2010-07-30 4:55 PM (#124380 - in reply to #124326)

A verbal re-creation of your experience is fine. Start.

Posted 2010-07-30 6:00 PM (#124381 - in reply to #124380)

I gave you my answer. Why are you so aggressively pursuing that which I have already made as clear as I can is non-verbal? Once you take away the labels, there is only substance without labels! If you are unsatisfied with my answers, I am sorry, but they are my answers. I am not interested in justifying them as they are as substantial as the wind.

Since you are not any kind of authority figure to me, I do not feel obligated to take your demands or your judgement seriously, so please ignore all that I have said and continue selling whatever it is that you are trying to sell.

Posted 2010-07-30 9:19 PM (#124382 - in reply to #124381)

fight! fight!
Kokoro
Posted 2010-07-31 7:26 AM (#124388 - in reply to #124382)

He just ask queston about your truth. Why it make you angry, Jim?
Swami Anand Karunesh
Posted 2010-08-01 4:58 PM (#124407 - in reply to #124326)

Interesting exchange, Jim. Here is what I see. This Andres forced your hand into showing your truth and you finally gave it to him. Angry dude self revealed. I looked at your words several times and the close observer might think that you really evaded answering a very substantial question. Perhaps you were in some kind of trouble upholding your image as a yoga teacher who actually is selling a book under each of your posts. There you are, and many of your posts are always topping what somebody has said, so, there is the flavor of one-up-manship in your writings. There you are, the knowledgeable yoga teacher cornered into revealing the possibility, God forbid, sir, that you just might not have all the answers. You should hope to not get trapped like this too often. Now what you gonna do next, son, have another catharsis right beneath?

Posted 2010-08-02 1:29 PM (#124417 - in reply to #124407)

Hey swami, you sure one-upped me!

FYI: I do not have "all the answers". I don't even understand the questions. Do you?

Lashkor
Posted 2010-08-02 5:16 PM (#124426 - in reply to #124326)

I don't really understand the argument that's going on, although I also don't understand why you feel the need to verbally try to force someone to tell you about their experiences, I just wanted to mention that Neti Neti meditation seems similar to mindfulness meditation O.o

EDIT: Sp

Edited by Lashkor 2010-08-02 5:18 PM

Posted 2010-08-02 6:59 PM (#124428 - in reply to #124407)

Swami Anand Karunesh - 2010-08-01 1:58 PM

Interesting exchange, Jim. Here is what I see. This Andres forced your hand into showing your truth and you finally gave it to him. Angry dude self revealed. I looked at your words several times and the close observer might think that you really evaded answering a very substantial question. Perhaps you were in some kind of trouble upholding your image as a yoga teacher who actually is selling a book under each of your posts. There you are, and many of your posts are always topping what somebody has said, so, there is the flavor of one-up-manship in your writings. There you are, the knowledgeable yoga teacher cornered into revealing the possibility, God forbid, sir, that you just might not have all the answers. You should hope to not get trapped like this too often. Now what you gonna do next, son, have another catharsis right beneath?

Swami, here is what I see:

"Yours in the Dharma,
Andreas Mamet
(Swami Anand Karunesh)"

quote from http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=20734022015&topic=13758

I would like to venture a quess that not only is Andreas Mamet also Swami Anand Karunesh, but also Kokoro.

Your "very substantial question" was an attempt to sucker me into a word trap. Your alter-ego swami made what I suspected clear I think.

Sometimes I get angry, but I am not an angry person. Are you?

I am a yoga teacher and I teach fitness and health. As such, I have no special image to uphold. If one is trying to teach enlightenment on the other hand, one might have quite a lot to maintain.

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-08-04 8:23 PM (#124488 - in reply to #124428)

Extreme Veteran

Oh my God!!!!
sniperdoc
Posted 2010-08-05 11:54 PM (#124535 - in reply to #124326)

First off, let me explain my experience with the Neti Neti Meditation

Neti Neti, meaning "Not this, Not that", the way I was taught, was to concentrate on and know a body part, like a foot, as best as you can. Feel every nuance of that foot, and then say... "If I'm without my foot, I am still I." Then move on to the lower leg... "without my lower leg, I am still I"... such and so forth. Then once you get the understanding of the body not being you, you sometimes get the feeling of being removed from your body.

The first, and only time, that I practiced the meditation, we were told to concentrate on a sound after some time of concentrating on our body parts. Then we say to ourselves, "am I hearing the sound or am I just observing the body hearing the sound"... and at that moment, I caught a fleeting glimpse of my true self. The being in me that is just there. It's as if I was observing what seemed to be my body listening to the sound... but yet... I couldn't hear it. Yet, I knew it was there... almost like existence in the purest form. I felt I was whole and complete but I was observing myself. I couldn't see my body sitting there (in the half-arsed lotus position) , but I knew I was there... removed. But, as soon as I tried to hold on to that state, I was back in my body again and hadn't been able to reach that state since.

It was the most awe inspiring moment... it made me realize that this "earth", this sense of being, was all an illusion.

Very humbling experience.

Now secondly, this JimG guy... I believe he talks a good game, is very intelligent, but I don't believe he's experienced enlightenment using the Neti Neti technique. The wordplay stating that Neti Neti can't be explained. Bogus... it can be explained... maybe not in the truest sense, but it can be done. If a complete NOVICE (myself) can do it, then Jim just avoided a direct question with smoke and mirrors.

I'm definitely not versed in any of the Sutras, and haven't a clue about the Guru or Swamise... but in my minute amounts of dabbling I can say I've experienced "me".

Now, this isn't meant as an attack against Jim... it's just an observation. I just think that the response could have been more genuine instead of "I don't have to prove myself to you".

True enlightenment, as far as I was told, once learned, was meant to be shared and should be everyone's "Dharma". Is that not so?

Edited by sniperdoc 2010-08-05 11:59 PM

Posted 2010-08-06 12:32 AM (#124536 - in reply to #124535)

hey lets all go eat some cheese fries...
my treat!

Posted 2010-08-06 2:11 AM (#124542 - in reply to #124535)

sniperdoc - 2010-08-05 8:54 PM

First off, let me explain my experience with the Neti Neti Meditation

Neti Neti, meaning "Not this, Not that", the way I was taught, was to concentrate on and know a body part, like a foot, as best as you can. Feel every nuance of that foot, and then say... "If I'm without my foot, I am still I." Then move on to the lower leg... "without my lower leg, I am still I"... such and so forth. Then once you get the understanding of the body not being you, you sometimes get the feeling of being removed from your body.

The first, and only time, that I practiced the meditation, we were told to concentrate on a sound after some time of concentrating on our body parts. Then we say to ourselves, "am I hearing the sound or am I just observing the body hearing the sound"... and at that moment, I caught a fleeting glimpse of my true self. The being in me that is just there. It's as if I was observing what seemed to be my body listening to the sound... but yet... I couldn't hear it. Yet, I knew it was there... almost like existence in the purest form. I felt I was whole and complete but I was observing myself. I couldn't see my body sitting there (in the half-arsed lotus position) , but I knew I was there... removed. But, as soon as I tried to hold on to that state, I was back in my body again and hadn't been able to reach that state since.

It was the most awe inspiring moment... it made me realize that this "earth", this sense of being, was all an illusion.

Very humbling experience.

Now secondly, this JimG guy... I believe he talks a good game, is very intelligent, but I don't believe he's experienced enlightenment using the Neti Neti technique. The wordplay stating that Neti Neti can't be explained. Bogus... it can be explained... maybe not in the truest sense, but it can be done. If a complete NOVICE (myself) can do it, then Jim just avoided a direct question with smoke and mirrors.

I'm definitely not versed in any of the Sutras, and haven't a clue about the Guru or Swamise... but in my minute amounts of dabbling I can say I've experienced "me".

Now, this isn't meant as an attack against Jim... it's just an observation. I just think that the response could have been more genuine instead of "I don't have to prove myself to you".

True enlightenment, as far as I was told, once learned, was meant to be shared and should be everyone's "Dharma". Is that not so?

Hi Andreas,
I like your new name. I have never said nor inferred that I was "enlightened". I personally don't even believe that "enlightenment" exists other than as an idea in someone's imagination (make believe). My take is that anyone who says that they are enlightened is a fraud, but I could be wrong.

Many things cannot be explained in words, such as creativity or love or??? When you have removed the words that you use to describe yourself (or anything), you are left with yourself, as opposed to a bunch of words, memories, preconcieved ideas, projections and/or beliefs. I honestly cannot describe that feeling in words as for me it is empty of words; a non-verbal, non-intellectual experience. How another uses and what another person experiences using that technique (Neti Neti) may be quite different and I am only speaking for myself. It has been useful to me in a particular way as I've tried to communicate. Thank you (I think) for calling me intelligent. Most days I'm not sure about the accuracy of that, but I do have moments every now and then.
Namaste,
Jim

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-08-06 9:54 AM (#124547 - in reply to #124536)

Extreme Veteran

dhanurasana - 2010-08-06 12:32 AM

hey lets all go eat some cheese fries...
my treat!

Only cheese fries? I would like to add some salad............
What do you think?
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-08-06 10:01 AM (#124548 - in reply to #124542)

Extreme Veteran

Yes jimg, you have never said nor inferred that you are "enlightened". But you are very intelligent and honest...
Thanks

sniperdoc
Posted 2010-08-06 5:59 PM (#124552 - in reply to #124542)

jimg - 2010-08-06 2:11 AM
Hi Andreas,
I like your new name. I have never said nor inferred that I was "enlightened". I personally don't even believe that "enlightenment" exists other than as an idea in someone's imagination (make believe). My take is that anyone who says that they are enlightened is a fraud, but I could be wrong.

I am curious as to why you think that I am Andreas. Would be a little childish of someone to create another account just to do... what? What would it accomplish. Be assured I'm not trying to be/imitate/usurp Andreas' name/account.

jimg - 2010-08-06 2:11 AM
Many things cannot be explained in words, such as creativity or love or??? When you have removed the words that you use to describe yourself (or anything), you are left with yourself, as opposed to a bunch of words, memories, preconcieved ideas, projections and/or beliefs. I honestly cannot describe that feeling in words as for me it is empty of words; a non-verbal, non-intellectual experience. How another uses and what another person experiences using that technique (Neti Neti) may be quite different and I am only speaking for myself. It has been useful to me in a particular way as I've tried to communicate. Thank you (I think) for calling me intelligent. Most days I'm not sure about the accuracy of that, but I do have moments every now and then.
Namaste,
Jim

I can understand not having words to explain something... but your comments just plain seemed to avoid some semblance of sharing your experience. I still have a gut feeling that you haven't experienced your true self. Which isn't meant to imply that you are worse off or a bad person for not having done so, considering over 99% of the planet has no concept of knowing their true self. I myself just caught a brief glimpse and don't even know my true self.

I'm sorry I seemed to infer by enlightenment that you have found your Buddhahood. That was not my intent. I am just guessing here, but I think that you may have done Neti Neti meditation, but have had an artificial experience, and by artificial, I mean what you may have THOUGHT was some sense of self or what you think people EXPECT you to experience.

It is always possible to at least explain some semblance of an experience, and in my short dabbling with meditation classes, I've seen most people have very similar experiences.

Posted 2010-08-06 7:04 PM (#124553 - in reply to #124547)

he (jim) did explain it in like two or three posts in some amount of detail.
additionally, there is precedent for andreas creating a new username to take potshots at jim (see swami anand karunesh).
what are we looking for here? accounts of some sort of paramahansa yogananda experience of dissolving into white light? i'm not saying it doesn't exist, but i think that it is such an intensely personal experience that trying to recount it within the limitations of this medium would only bring one further away from understanding.
just trying to explain my experiences in meditation to my girlfriend yesterday brought me further away from the experience.
if anyone would like to give an account of experiencing their true self, i would like to formally open the floor.
Tonmoy, you are welcome to my salad...after all of this petty bickering i need some fatty food to replenish ojas.
sniperdoc
Posted 2010-08-06 8:05 PM (#124554 - in reply to #124553)

If Andreas has done it in the past I'd say there's some growing up to do on his part. I'm just making an observation and wanted to explain my experience which was put to words easily enough. Maybe it's because I haven't sat down to re-experience the moment etc. But then expectations will probably ruin that for me ;)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)