YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Helping a very overweight woman with Vinyasa
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogurt
Posted 2010-08-05 5:59 PM (#124526)
Subject: Helping a very overweight woman with Vinyasa

I have been teaching about 10 years, and would love some suggestions for a situation that I have only had once before. A very overweight student, obese I guess, new to yoga, has been coming to my Vinyasa class over the last month. She says she loves it and I am so glad, however I feel I fall short when it comes to offering modifications and hands on adjustments. Things I do constantly for the others. Adjustments mostly because, due to the extra skin etc, I cannot easily see or feel where her bones are, and also, some things we have tried, i.e. inversions at the wall--she is too heavy for me to assist, to help bring a leg up etc...but she likes to practice like the others. I even have a hard time adjusting her in svasana which I offer to everyone. I know I can leave things as is, she is happy etc with her practice/my classes, but am wondering if anyone has a few key techniques?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-08-05 6:27 PM (#124528 - in reply to #124526)
Subject: Re: Helping a very overweight woman with Vinyasa

I don't have any specific tips but from my experience, your comment that she is happy is key. I've had some huge people in classes before and they have, without exception, been model students--eager and enthusiastic. I talked to them privately about there size in an empathetic way. I'm 6'1" and over 200 lbs and will never be a lithe bendy thing either. We discussed where they're trying to get to and then I'd help them as I could toward that goal and find the asanas they might excell at and add those on occasion to keep their self confidence up. I didn't get a good feeling from your post if she has difficulties with certain asanas that you feel you need to get in there and push and pull.
carrieberry
Posted 2010-08-05 6:49 PM (#124529 - in reply to #124526)

I had two women in my beginners Ashtanga series recently that were overweight. Downdogs were especially hard on their wrists because of the extra weight I guess. I showed them to go to childs pose for the five breaths then push up to downdog just as a transition to come back to Utanasana.

Breasts seemed to be an issue. As a large busted person myself, I was able to show them how to shift the torso away from the thigh in bends without sacrificing the long spine or the stretch.

If she isn't quite ready at the wall, be sure to have her practice dolphin and other poses you can easily assist her with until she is ready to go to the wall with less assistance.

I'm not sure how comfortable she is with hands on adjustments, but if she is- get in there. I know when you can't feel her body in the way you're used to, it can be more difficult but it shouldn't be too difficult if you're both comfortable with the process. I'm a former licensed massage therapist and that was always my biggest difficulty- larger people whose muscles were somewhere under more skin than I was accustomed to working with. It turned out that I was just being too shy and "walking on eggshells" when it wasn't necessary.

I know it isn't much, but I do hope that helps a bit.
yogurt
Posted 2010-08-05 6:54 PM (#124530 - in reply to #124526)

Thank you. I like to watch knees and shoulders, especially with vinyasa, both of these areas are hard for me to see (or feel). I don't have to push and pull, it is just something I offer--as a student who loves a good hands on adjustment--and due to our size difference (wouldn't describe myself a s a little bendy thing either but she hads at least 100 pounds on me) , adjusting for example, Adho mukka, I can't get anywhere at all, parsvokonasana lifting upper hip--can't get anywhere, can't even feel the illiac crest. Savasana as I mentioned. So I was wondering...But you are right she is happy that is key.
yogurt
Posted 2010-08-05 6:55 PM (#124531 - in reply to #124526)

Thank you carrieberry!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)