YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ever think Bikram makes you too thin?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

towelie
Posted 2010-08-09 10:38 PM (#124590)
Subject: Ever think Bikram makes you too thin?

I am starting to think I am getting a little thin. I am 5'8 and I think about 155 lbs (dont own a scale) and I have a 29 in. waist. There are just some days I look at myself in class in shock and think I need to add some weight asap. I am a borderline vegan, but will eat meat when my body says it needs it (usually every week and half or so). I eat six times a day and drink well over a gallon of water a day. How is it possible when maintaining a practice of six classes per week to put on five pounds without forcing egg yolks and meat down my throat every couple of days? It doesnt help that I used to weigh 220 lbs (seven years ago) and managed to lose all this weight (not all on bikram, but the last 25lbs have been all bikram) and some old friends will see me and think I got sick, 65-70lbs is a ton when you only weighed 220! Love the classes and would not think of scaling back, I am really starting to make progress in all postures after giving up alcohol last year. Truthfully I feel like I lost 10lbs by not drinking anymore. Any good vegan weight gain powders or shake ideas?

Edited by towelie 2010-08-09 10:41 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
amyf
Posted 2010-08-10 9:06 AM (#124596 - in reply to #124590)
Subject: Re: Ever think Bikram makes you too thin?

Veteran

there are alot of vegan protein shakes out there... hit your health food store and they will help you out and even let you sample befpre you buy in some cases

Posted 2010-08-10 12:16 PM (#124598 - in reply to #124596)

Most protein powders are either whey or soybean based. You can usually mix them with milk, yogurt, fruit juice or water.

Posted 2010-08-10 2:17 PM (#124603 - in reply to #124590)

Can you try whey protein? I know whey isn't technically vegan, but my nearly vegan, lactose-intolerant boyfriend can drink that and it doesn't bother him. There are some brands that taste pretty good, too.

Interesting question. Some random thoughts are coming to mind, so here they are. Browse the forums and I think you'll find many folks don't have that problem! I don't think Bikram yoga makes everyone simply "lose weight." Some even gain weight! And while I understand 70 pounds is a dramatic weight loss (congrats! even if it is a little scary!) isn't 155 for 5'8 frame a normal BMI?

Most importantly, how do you feel? :-)
amyf
Posted 2010-08-10 11:45 PM (#124606 - in reply to #124590)

Veteran

I agree randomfemale !!

Posted 2010-08-11 12:05 AM (#124607 - in reply to #124596)

just eat rice and beans every day
KenPol
Posted 2010-08-11 2:59 PM (#124622 - in reply to #124590)

I am definitely not a vegan expert but especially for Bikram, because your burning so many calories each class, getting some substance in your stomach should be the answer. Your not super unhealthy skinny so not too much to worry about but I agree with the others saying that protein is a good way to start but fine some other foods that have good carbs or calories. Good luck!

- K

Posted 2010-08-13 10:26 PM (#124659 - in reply to #124590)

I'm not sure why other are recommending protein. Why not fat? Lots of nuts and avocados - the kinds of stuff that other vegans avoid to keep their weight down.

Ever look at the PETA site - vegan junk food galore!

Best wishes.
Vic
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)