YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good time for yoga teacher training?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

findingnamaste
Posted 2010-08-18 1:02 AM (#124703)
Subject: Good time for yoga teacher training?

Hello friends-

I have been an avid yoga practitioner for about 6 or 7 years (since I was in college) and yoga and the people have have met through it have made a huge impact on my life. I have had the opportunity to attend various training workshops and love learning about yoga, myself, and learning from the yoga teachers there. Yoga has always been a place where I feel free and really appreciate everything that my body does. Part of me very much wants to pursue a 200 hour yoga teacher training program in a city near my school (I am pursing my PhD).

I am wondering if any of you could provide advice about this....this summer, I was in treatment for an eating disorder for about 10 weeks (until a few weeks ago). I am not underweight, my health problems related to it are being treated/improved/gone (I have been cleared to do yoga--the program actually encouraged it for me!) and many of my eating disordered behaviors/thoughts have significantly decreased since completing the program. The teacher training would start in about two weeks.

I am wondering if this is a good idea to pursue now. While I am in recovery and do not "look" like I have an eating disorder, I am still very hesitant to wear tight clothing and am still uncomfortable with people watching me and my body (like when teaching a class). I also know that the training (and yoga in general) will probably lead to emotions or something.

Part of it, too, is that I am graduating in about 2 years and it will be near impossible to do any sort of teacher training while pursing tenure at a university (about 5 years from beginning of position).

I think I already know my answer to this, but has anyone dealt with something similar? I know of the directors of the teacher training, but I don't know that I would be comfortable discussing this with them. Yoga has been a huge part of my recovery and my life and I would love to use my experiences and yoga for others, but trying to decide if the time is now or not....

Edited by findingnamaste 2010-08-18 1:07 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dreamforsure
Posted 2010-08-18 3:29 AM (#124706 - in reply to #124703)
Subject: Re: Good time for yoga teacher training?

hey why don't you try meditation yoga teacher's training program? it's a home study training with 370 Page Illustrated Meditation Teacher's Training manual and 15 videos supported. You also get 2 bonus e-books for free, and another best thing in this membership, you will get teacher's certificate training. It takes 8 weeks to complete the course and there will be an examination.

With this membership you can:

a. Learn Basic Meditation Techniques
b. Learn Advanced Meditation Techniques
c. Learn Gentle Yoga
d. Learn Pranayama (Yoga Breathing Exercises)
e. Learn the Fundamentals of Enlightened Living
f. Learn How to Teach a Meditation Class
g. Learn How to Run a Successful Meditation Center, even
h. Learn How to Build a High Traffic Meditation Web Site

and you can do this all practice at home. You can check it on my website or you can click here

Edited by dreamforsure 2010-08-18 3:33 AM
harpreet singh
Posted 2010-08-28 5:50 AM (#124828 - in reply to #124703)
Subject: Yoga Teacher Training

New User

Thanks for it. I call it the "Yoga Teacher Training Camp" for Home Study Yoga Teacher Certification.And with the praise I've received for the original camp-in-a-box, I've been inspired to create a full collection of home study courses for popular and important Yoga Teacher specialities, such as Restorative Yoga Teacher, Kid's Yoga Teacher, Chair Yoga Teacher, Pre-natal & Post-natal Yoga Teacher, Yoga Teacher Trainer (level II), Vinyasa Yoga, Meditation Teacher, Yoga Anatomy and more.For detail information click here
Yoga Teacher Training
carrieberry
Posted 2010-09-02 10:46 PM (#124889 - in reply to #124703)

Findingnamaste,

Welcome! You know it's now or never, right? ;-)

Honestly.... YTT for me was a wonderful opportunity to really focus on my SELF without focusing on myself. There is a LOT of looking inward... a lot of quiet time where you are WITH YOURSELF but not by yourself. And it can create some emotional catharsis.

Someone in my YTT class was in a drug recovery treatment while obtaining her certification. While your situations are not alike, I can say that your emotional states may be. She struggled more on the days we were not in class. YTT made her see how important yoga is in her life and she went on to teach it in her drug prevention therapy classes and several at risk youth centers. It's been part of her recovery.

Posted 2010-09-03 3:10 AM (#124891 - in reply to #124703)

Hello SM (finding Namaste),

I'll touch on a couple of points relative to your OP and the intriguing replies you've had thus far.

A sound yoga teacher training reaches into us on many levels and for that reason it can be very challenging. This is true for every committed student enrolled in a quality teacher training. It has nothing to do with your eating or the lack thereof, your size, or the lack thereof. It is only a matter of having the urge to grow and the willingness to change - assuming one finds a quality training.

The inherent challenges are exacerbated when we have an already full schedule. However there are certainly instances where if we wait until we have time or wait until we can afford it we will never do it. This then is a continuum for which only you can determine the balance.

It is however profoundly helpful when we are deeply called to the training. When it speaks to our heart and is not something we crave in order to be right, superior, placed on a pedestal, or perfect, then I believe it imperative to answer the call. Sadly, in the world of yoga, teachers train because they've been practicing for ten years or because others want them to teach or because they want to supplement their income or because they love it. And these are not "bad" reasons. They just do not, by themselves, equal a calling.

When there is a calling it is also imperative for the prospective teacher to understand the nature of transmission in the teachings of yoga. And while this is not the only sound reason it is one of the compelling reasons for contact hours (in person) between the teacher and the teacher trainee. Teaching a subject to a student is vastly different than teaching a teacher how to teach.

gordon

Edited by purnayoga 2010-09-03 3:12 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)