YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

no arteries that feed the spinal disc
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Yoga TherapyMessage format

brayanSg
Posted 2010-08-22 10:03 AM (#124757)
Subject: no arteries that feed the spinal disc

Veteran

Dear yogis/yogins,
I found this article and i want to know if this is true, - especially "There are no arteries that feed the spinal disc with oxygen and nutrients." Please read this following article and help me. I hope to hear from the expert yoga practitioners (Bs/Ms Kinesiology) here in this great yoga community.

Thanks and Namaste.

Degenerative Disc Disease:
Introduction to Degenerative Disc Disease
In order to understand the condition of Degenerative Disc Disease one must know two main facts about discs:
1. Spinal discs do NOT have a direct blood supply. There are no arteries that feed the disc with oxygen and nutrients. Therefore, discs of the spine must receive their oxygen and nutrients from a different source. Normal, healthy discs are “fed” and oxygenated by the constant recycling of the disc fluid that occurs with spinal joint movement. This joint motion “sucks” in fluid filled with oxygen and nutrients and “pumps out” waste fluid. This process of fluid diffusion is greatly affected by internal disc pressure (intradiscal pressure) which brings us to key point No. 2:

2. The discs of the spine are under constant pressure. The spinal discs are designed to absorb shock and maintain spinal flexibility by acting as cushions during body movement. The discs act similar to shock absorbers in a car. Car shock absorbers maintain a constant pressure to “push back” against the weight and movement of the car. Spinal discs act in a similar fashion. The pressure within the discs pushes the bones of the spine apart preventing them from crashing into one another during activities like running and jumping. Unfortunately, this constant internal disc pressure also pushes the fluid out of the disc consistently every day. This makes it difficult for the body to “suck” in new, healthy disc fluid with its much-needed oxygen and nutrients.
These two factors make it difficult for the body to maintain thick, plump, healthy discs making Degenerative Disc Disease one of the more common spinal ailments.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-08-23 12:06 AM (#124765 - in reply to #124757)
Subject: Re: There are no arteries that feed the spinal disc with oxygen and nutrients.

This is not kinesthetic but more if an anatomical question which therefor should be posed to an anatomist.

And I particularly do not care to comment on articles that do not have a citation to the author.

However I will say that my understanding is that blood supply to the discs stop aroubd 20 years of age.

Posted 2010-08-23 12:47 PM (#124776 - in reply to #124765)
Subject: Re: There are no arteries that feed the spinal disc with oxygen and nutrients.

purnayoga - 2010-08-22 9:06 PM

However I will say that my understanding is that blood supply to the discs stop around 20 years of age.

This is also what I have read and heard from various "experts." This is one very important reason why yoga is important for back/disc health into old age.
Disks are not like muscles or organs which need a constant fresh supply of blood for oxygen and nutrients, but are nonetheless living matter and require nutrient intake as well as waste material removal, both of which are facilitated by spinal bending and twisting. Yoga asana practice is one of the best methods for maintaining a healthy spine, and since most of our nerves travel through our spines, overall health is also greatly improved.

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-08-23 7:38 PM (#124782 - in reply to #124765)

Extreme Veteran

purnayoga - 2010-08-23 12:06 AM

"blood supply to the discs stop aroubd 20 years of age".

Wonderful, I also have heard this. Now I have got a better idea from Gordon. But I have an idea that the gentle stretching of the spinal joints through asanas causes the secretion of a lubricant which is called synovial fluid. This fluid released into the joints and keeps them supple and also helps to remove waste products. This reduces stiffness, which prevents arthritis or improves it if anyone already has this problem.

Thanks Brayan

brayanSg
Posted 2010-08-27 1:09 PM (#124818 - in reply to #124765)

Veteran

purnayoga - 2010-08-23 12:06 AM

This is not kinesthetic but more if an anatomical question which therefor should be posed to an anatomist.

And I particularly do not care to comment on articles that do not have a citation to the author.

However I will say that my understanding is that blood supply to the discs stop aroubd 20 years of age.

Thank you so much for reply. I got this from the following sites:
http://www.betterhealthworx.com/lowerback.html
http://irvinedrx9000.com/degenerative.htm

And I wanted to know how you think.
Thanks for the information above...
Wish to know more about the articles from you..
brayanSg
Posted 2010-08-27 1:11 PM (#124819 - in reply to #124776)

Veteran

Thank you jimg and yogacharyaji for your reply..
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-08-30 8:25 AM (#124851 - in reply to #124819)

Extreme Veteran

Brayan, i also have read this write up..
I also have the same idea......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)