YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram class necessary evey time?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

newbie13
Posted 2010-08-31 12:11 PM (#124864)
Subject: Bikram class necessary evey time?

As some of you already know I am very knew to Bikram. However worked started up again and I am nervous I will not have the energy to attend class as often as I would like.

Is it ok being a "newbie" to do Bikram at home in a room heated to 105 with a tape/DVD?

I'd love to get a space heater and do Bikram during the week at home and attend classes Friday - Sunday.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-08-31 12:27 PM (#124865 - in reply to #124864)
Subject: Re: Bikram class necessary evey time?

It's certainly alright kiddo--Cyndi here on the forums does just that.
newbie13
Posted 2010-08-31 1:15 PM (#124866 - in reply to #124864)

Thank you again Bruce!

Posted 2010-08-31 1:49 PM (#124867 - in reply to #124864)

Anytime--just don't tell your Bikram instructor--you'll get in trouble And for what it's worth, I practiced Bikram exclusively my first two years of asana practice. Hope you'll be open to trying other styles as your journey progresses.
Cyndi
Posted 2010-09-02 12:52 PM (#124883 - in reply to #124865)

Expert Yogi

Bruce is right, that is exactly what I do, although, I haven't been to a Bikram class per se now in over a year. All my practice is done either at home or at a Bikramite friend's home studio where the 3 of us do it together...it's soooo awesome!!

I will say it can get a little bit tricky where the motivation part come into play. I found that by establishing a specific time in your schedule really helps with this and helps you stay disciplined. Right now because I've been in Massage school, (I'll be finished the middle of this month), I have not been a very good yogi...but, I knew this going into it and was very prepared. Now, I'm getting ready to take a yoga retreat for myself...it will probably consist of getting back with my Bikram groupies and doing some serious home practice. I cannot wait for this!!

Best wishes and best of luck!

Posted 2010-09-02 7:01 PM (#124888 - in reply to #124883)

This could lead to anarchy!!!

amyf
Posted 2010-09-04 9:39 AM (#124914 - in reply to #124864)

Veteran

I have a pracitice at home as well that developed when my daughter came home LOVE it and best wishes ...... I do a combo practice at home and at studio now that she is a bit older.

Posted 2010-09-13 12:55 PM (#125021 - in reply to #124864)

Speaking as an instructor, there ain't NOTHING wrong with that! (And I see no reason why any instructor would have a problem with it.) If you can only come to my class a couple times a week, but you get set up with a space heater and Bikram's CD so that you can practice at home in between visits to the studio, that is GREAT!!! It's a beginner's class. You're not going to hurt yourself. The only thing to be careful with is the temperature. If you can't quite get your room at home up to 105 degrees, you'll just have to be careful to go a little slower in your postures so that you don't overstretch. Have fun!
Cyndi
Posted 2010-09-16 10:34 AM (#125086 - in reply to #125021)

Expert Yogi

thedancingj - 2010-09-13 12:55 PM

If you can't quite get your room at home up to 105 degrees, you'll just have to be careful to go a little slower in your postures so that you don't overstretch. Have fun!

In Bikram's original book, he clearly states the temperature to be 85-90 degrees. Over the years this has changed. I have no problems with the lower temps and it is actually healthier, IMO.

Posted 2010-09-16 2:49 PM (#125090 - in reply to #125086)

Cyndi - 2010-09-16 7:34 AM

thedancingj - 2010-09-13 12:55 PM

If you can't quite get your room at home up to 105 degrees, you'll just have to be careful to go a little slower in your postures so that you don't overstretch. Have fun!

In Bikram's original book, he clearly states the temperature to be 85-90 degrees. Over the years this has changed. I have no problems with the lower temps and it is actually healthier, IMO.

I've got no problem with it either, actually. But I still give the precaution when people who are USED to 105 degrees suddenly SWITCH to a lower temperature. That, in my experience, is when you've gotta watch out! I've given myself some verrrry sore muscles by doing yoga in a 90 degree room but "going for it" like it was still 105, cause my body just didn't warm up the same way I expected it to!
psimmons
Posted 2010-09-17 8:29 PM (#125109 - in reply to #124864)

My wife and I have been doing at home for over 6 months now, 6 days a week. Its a great way to stay in shape. I have added some breaks to the bikram CD (since his timings are off on a few of the poses) and have a new song each day for the break in the middle of class...gotta love itunes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)