YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

off to TT
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogimama
Posted 2010-09-06 11:46 PM (#124947)
Subject: off to TT

New User

Hey all,

I am off to tt in less than two weeks. I have a tremendous amount of passion for yoga and have found that I really enjoy Bikram. I have been at this specific practice for 4 years.

I have really only had positive experiences with Bikrams. I do feel that from time to time I have a teacher that has an ego - or, at least that is how I perceive it but it's like anything in this world - nobody is perfect and we all just have to keep trying out best.

I am just worried coming out that I will be shot down for following Bikrams. It seems that many in this forum have a very negative or jaded opinion. Perhaps you could shed some light as to why and how I could help change its image for the better. This may be too broad of a question but I just feel that all yoga is good yoga and to each their own. Respect all for the choices and for what turns their cranks.

Many thanks for any advice offered.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-09-07 7:38 AM (#124951 - in reply to #124947)
Subject: Re: off to TT

Good luck at TT Catherine. To counter your fear, I'd recommend following thedancingJ's example--live your yoga and take no offense against others nor take defense to critical comments of Bikram.
amyf
Posted 2010-09-09 9:50 AM (#124967 - in reply to #124947)

Veteran

it is like anything we do in life... people will have opinions about it. get married or dont have kids or dont work or dont or at this job or that do this workout or that one ..... well i think you get the idea. no matter what we choose someone will seem to think something about it lol
I encounter this all the time and yes it can be frustrating. not only about my yoga but about many things. as a mother i often have people jump in with idea about how she should be raised and as an athlete i often have people jump in about how they feel i should train... it just goes with having people love you lol
Jar
Posted 2010-09-09 9:58 PM (#124976 - in reply to #124947)
Subject: RE: off to TT

Regular

Awesome !

Go have fun and learn.

Ignore those who try to steal your peace even those in pixel form on internet forums

Posted 2010-09-13 12:51 PM (#125020 - in reply to #124947)

Heyyy, thanks Bruce.

Yogimama - I can't say it any better than what Jar said. Go out and have fun!! There are always going to be a few people who don't like Bikram yoga. That has nothing to do with you. Half the time, it doesn't even have anything to do with Bikram yoga!! Opinions are like bellybuttons. Everybody has one. Not your problem. Do your job, do it well, and do it with love!

And lord knows, you don't have to worry about being "shot down" for loving Bikram once you get to TT - you'll be surrounded by hundreds of people who feel the same way!!

Bikram made a comment near the end of my training (last spring) that kinda sums things up. He said, "Just go out and teach your class the right way. Some people won't like the way you teach. But some people will REALLY like it!!!!"

Enjoy your adventure... and... TRUST THE PROCESS. (Bwaahahahaaaaa. You'll get it soon.)

Posted 2010-09-13 6:01 PM (#125024 - in reply to #124947)

"...Some people won't like the way you teach. But some people will REALLY like it.." How many variations of that expression have we heard through the centuries? It's maybe trite but absolutely true. I used to do twice yearly surveys of my classes as they were mandated by the school--each occasion, one person always hated my style, demeanor, method, music, attitude--something--while the rest loved me That person always got the "C." Not really, (actually yes once) but why folks do/do not like you stems from myriad different reasons--some you can control, many not.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)