YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Svasana boredom
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

carrieberry
Posted 2010-09-10 8:10 AM (#124980)
Subject: Svasana boredom

Hello, all! Looking for some suggestions to get out of my rut...

Normally, I sing my students out of savasana or use chimes/bells. I am so so bored with it. Does anyone have an alternate suggestion? I'd like to keep from seeming so stale and I really prefer to make coming out of savasana a real transition marked by SOMETHING like a song or sound.

Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2010-09-10 6:25 PM (#124998 - in reply to #124980)
Subject: RE: Svasana boredom

Expert Yogi

I chant the Invocation to Patanjali. Wondering why are you looking for `freshness`for this as I consider it to be ritual and therefore important to keep simple and same. I have heard that some Zen masters use big wooden clappers that make a huge racket.

Posted 2010-09-10 10:39 PM (#125002 - in reply to #124980)

I have a gong that normally I lightly sound a few times. Sometimes, depending on the reading or the music, I build some awakening suggestions into it. Also, just a few words to roust them on occasion.
carrieberry
Posted 2010-09-10 11:01 PM (#125003 - in reply to #124998)

Tourist-

I just wanted another option to throw in now and again. I am a restless little gypsy soul according to my mother....

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted 2010-09-11 4:13 AM (#125004 - in reply to #124980)
Subject: Re: Svasana boredom

I doubt this will qualify as a suggestion but I can only speak from my own experience.

The depth of savasana I hope to receive from my teacher and deliver to my students is one where the nervous system goes parasympathetic - decreased heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate. This depth can often be determined by a feeling in the student as though they cannot lift their limbs for they have become very heavy in the pose.

For these reasons, and others, coming "back" from such a state should be gentle, calming, unfettered, and basically devoid of anything that requires an immediate sensory response from the nervous system.

I use a soft, gentle voice to bring students out VERY slowly and finish in a seated posture, reciting Sri Aurobindo's gayatri along with three soft Oms.
carrieberry
Posted 2010-09-12 5:36 PM (#125015 - in reply to #124980)

Thanks, Purna. I usually sing OM Shanti softly for a moment then have them "come back into the body" by wiggling fingers or toes then turning onto the right side then coming into seated for one long om. I think I will stick to singing. My old teacher did this and it was so soothing- like being sung to by your mama as a baby.... :-)
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-09-15 6:52 PM (#125068 - in reply to #124980)

Extreme Veteran

I appreciate what everybody said here, especially the way Mr. Gordon said. I also follow the same and use my very soft and gentle voice to bring my students back very slowly to a comfortable seated posture. Then we chant Mahamrityunjaya Mantra for three times. Thanks…
Namaste
vibes
Posted 2010-09-16 7:49 AM (#125082 - in reply to #124980)

Extreme Veteran

Dear Purna. Being devoid of anything that requires an immediate sensory response from the nervous system??? How can you feel the floor beneath you then? You want your students numb? The process of getting up from savasana is so complex and involves so many impulses through the nervous system. Without that you simply cannot get up by yourself. While in savasana it is of huge benefit to sense your sensations and changes to big about more awareness. Unless you just want to have a sleep. But even then its advisable to be awake when getting up.
westleyanson
Posted 2011-04-17 10:48 AM (#208167 - in reply to #124980)

New User

My classes always have music so I use certain songs/sounds to end our practice. Perhaps your Savasana feels boring because your mind is still active? I have found my "best" Savasanas is usually the ones after the more intense practices. Namaste.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)