YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pregnant & Hesitant to go back
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

payslee
Posted 2010-09-14 1:22 PM (#125050)
Subject: Pregnant & Hesitant to go back

Greetings all.

I have just entered my second trimester, and have been cleared to return to my practice. I know that many women have successfully continued their practice throughout their pregnancy's and went on to deliver healthy babies, but my concerns are twofold:

1) It is said that Bikram Yoga is safe to return to *if you have already been practicing,* and while I had been practicing, I'm not sure if it was enough. Many of the women (one in my class practiced right up until delivery) had been practicing faithfully for years. I, on the other hand, was in my first year of practice, and while I am definitely aiming to integrate it fully into my life, I was only at a point where I had been able to attend classes 1-3 times a week for about 3 or 4 months. Before that, my practice had been sporadic.

2) On top of that, I have not been able to attend a class since the end of May (Doctors orders). I have been extremely sick during my first trimester, so not only was I not able to attend Bikram classes, but I was unable to really get in *any* form of exercise. I feel like I am starting from square one again, and I guess my concern is that maybe I may not be the best candidate for returning at this moment?

Any suggestions or better yet, any personal experiences would be great to hear about. I really miss my practice, but I wonder if I am so far removed from the practice at this point that I should just wait until the baby is born?
Thanks in advance,
Payslee
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-09-14 1:53 PM (#125051 - in reply to #125050)
Subject: Re: Pregnant & Hesitant to go back

Maybe check out some sort of prenatal yoga class offered in your area.
It will likely be less strenuous and more relevant to carrying and delivering a child as well as post-natal recovery.
I hope your health returns or has already done so.
best of luck

Posted 2010-09-14 2:15 PM (#125052 - in reply to #125050)

I don't have any personal experience to share, but I think it would be great to get some kind of yoga - ANY kind of yoga - back into your routine! I bet it'll make you feel SO much better and your delivery will be a lot easier. There's actually a DVD that you can do at home, if you want to stay close to the Bikram series. It's Rajashree's pregancy series, and it's similar to the regular series that you already know, but it's got a bunch of changes for pregnancy - some postures are added, some postures are taken out, and some are modified. You can do it in the comfort of your living room, where the conditions are a bit less strenuous!

Then if you do that for a few weeks and feel like you'd want to do it in the hot room, you could go back to class and see how that feel. But you might not even NEED the heat right now. It's more important to just do SOMETHING!

Here's the link to the DVD - it looks like they're selling the DVD and the CD together for $30, same price as a couple of studio classes. http://www.products.bikramyoga.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=17

Hope this helps!
payslee
Posted 2010-09-14 2:50 PM (#125054 - in reply to #125050)

Ha! I was JUST looking into Rajashree's pregnancy dvd Ah, internet research + forums with people in the know = invaluable information and support!

I ordered her dvd, as I think that is just the exact solution I need right now. Prenatal yoga classes were proving hard to find for my schedule, and I really didn't want to stray too far away from the Bikram Series.

Thanks for the replies! I will let you all know how it goes...
Oh, and a very belated congratulations to you, Dancingj, on completing your TT!!

**edited to fix a spelling error**

Edited by payslee 2010-09-14 2:51 PM

Posted 2010-09-14 9:23 PM (#125060 - in reply to #125050)

The internet is a glorious thing sometime.

Thanks for the congrats, and congrats again on the pregnancy!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)