YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teacher training @ 59
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

MEGABARK
Posted 2010-09-18 9:04 PM (#125122)
Subject: Teacher training @ 59

New User

Hey Birkam teachers and all others with valuble input.
I am totally addicted to Birkam Yoga. I am 55 yrs old and 4.5 years into my Bikram practice (I did 7 years of ashtanga prior. I broke both my big toes coming out of handstand with two spotters. Not good. The good thing was I found Birkam.)
Anyway, I barter maintenence work for unlimited yoga classes AND use of the heat and studio whenever I want aside from class times. So I get in about 7 or 8 classes a week with two days off. I practice with my yogabuddy at 5 in the morning to the cd 4 times a week and take classes 3 or 4 more times a week as well. I also go in on my own and work on specific postures. I cant get my head to the floor and I cant do toe stand yet, but I will.
Okay, to the nitty gritty of this post. I am planning on taking the teacher training exactly four years from now I will be 59. ( I want to wait for my son to get through college before I spend his education money and leave home for nine weeks) I am totally focused but have had one person imparticular from another online social network tell me I would be too old and not be able to hang with the 25 yr olds and the late nights, etc. I really think I am going to be a great teacher as I am used to handling and motivating large groups as I am now a fairly successful
working drum circle facilitator and have been for the last twenty years.
Someone who has been thru the training tell me I'll be alright...
and how do I get my forehead to the floor!
Happy and Harmoniously
Barky

I
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-09-18 10:56 PM (#125124 - in reply to #125122)
Subject: Re: Teacher training @ 59

There were people in their 60s at my teacher training! Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't do it. And with almost 10 years of Bikram under your belt already, you'll do WAY better than some of those young kids who have only been doing the stuff for 6 months.

As for that forehead to the floor... just keep pulling. ;)
amyf
Posted 2010-09-19 9:08 AM (#125133 - in reply to #125122)

Veteran

one of our teachers the just finished was past 60's (GO Walter!!!) hes cool and managed to survive lol
bikrambeginner
Posted 2010-10-28 9:36 PM (#125813 - in reply to #125122)
Subject: RE: Teacher training @ 59

New User

You go Megabark. That is just awesome and I wish you the best of luck. You actually posed a question that I wanted to ask myself. Considering same within the next 5-7 years when I'll be approaching 55!!! Something to be said for us "older and wiser ones"!!!! Keep up the good work. Think it's fantastic!
Andre
Posted 2010-10-29 12:48 AM (#125819 - in reply to #125122)

Extreme Veteran

I've heard there are late nights to study. But if you're thinking you have to stay out late and party, you sure don't have to keep up with the young'uns that way. We have a guy at our local studio who was about 50 when he went. And the new owner is fiftyish as well. Both completed teacher training in the last 2-3 years.

Posted 2010-10-29 3:00 PM (#125836 - in reply to #125819)

Andre - 2010-10-28 9:48 PM

I've heard there are late nights to study. But if you're thinking you have to stay out late and party, you sure don't have to keep up with the young'uns that way.

Ohhh nonono Andre. Late nights are mandatory. Late night lectures and late night movies. No partying. Lots of Indian mythology with really old-school special effects, into the wee hours of the morning. On the weekends, even the "young kids" just catch up on sleep! But everyone's in it together, and everyone Just Does It.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)