YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How often should I practise?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

childofthetao
Posted 2010-10-03 10:56 AM (#125348)
Subject: How often should I practise?

I follow David Swensons series one DVD, should I do it everyday? I'm thinking do it two days in a row, then have a break for one day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-10-03 1:07 PM (#125350 - in reply to #125348)
Subject: RE: How often should I practise?

You can do it daily, every other day, once a week or at whatever interval it works for you personally. "Right" is what works for your mind, your body and your life.

yogabear
Posted 2010-10-07 6:18 AM (#125405 - in reply to #125348)
Subject: Re: How often should I practise?

Regular

I do Ashtanga yoga everyday. For me what works best is taking the wholePrimary Sequence in three stages: the standing asanas, the seated, and the closing ("final" 16). Usually I do all of it (including sun b's between each of the standing, which equals 24 sun's in total). This takes about 90 minutes completed.

On some days I don' feel well so I will do the closing sequence, which takes 20 to 30 minutes. These are basically the inversions. With these I like to start with backbending and maybe throw in some "extra" poses, heavily modified, from Shodana as I like to keep up on some of these for classes, which I don't get if I do only Ashtanga at home.

If it is a heavy weight-training week, I will skip the standing postures and do the seated and closing sequences only, as I feel warmed up enough already after having lifted for an hour, and of course after which I will usually have to skip on the binds and some of the twists, etc., for that day.

Someone mentioned a Swenson book that has the many different sequences that one can piece together to tailor fit Ashtanga to the busy western lifestyle, and I modify my practice inspired through this idea. I hope it helps you too.

Posted 2010-10-21 5:42 AM (#125648 - in reply to #125348)

According to the tradition, astanga practice is done 6 days a week, giving one day to rest (usually Saturdays), and also the "moon days" are without practice (full moon and new moon).
Also, what I've been taught is that if I don't have time to do the whole practice, then I stop at some point in the sequence and continue directly to the finishing asanas. Like if I have one 1 hour to practice, I do the "fundamentals" asanas (until ardha baddha padmottanasana) and then the finishing asanas. If I have one 30 mins, I will only do sun salutations A and B 5 times each and then shavasana (the relaxation).
vibes
Posted 2010-10-21 6:27 AM (#125650 - in reply to #125348)

Extreme Veteran

Jimg has a good point. Build up your own person practice and traditions for what is good for you. The real class/test starts outside of your home practice or a class/workshop in daily life.
Iraputra
Posted 2010-10-24 4:42 AM (#125687 - in reply to #125348)

Veteran

As long as you are young and healthy, you could probably practice for hours, once or twice a day - if you have the time for it - but if you are a beginner out of shape, I think you would be better off to initially practice maybe two or three times a week, or have a shorter practice every day. It basically depends on you, the way you practice and the time and energy you have to practice.

A consistent moderate (and above all safe) practice of any style of yoga is better than an overly intense and ambitious practice done infrequently.

If I remember correctly, David Swenson said that if you only have the time/energy/desire to practice once a week, that's what you should do; the main idea being that yoga should be fun and good for you. Find a way to practice that suits your lifestyle.
StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-06-18 10:25 AM (#208710 - in reply to #125348)

It's hard to tell how many you 'should' practice because there really isn't any "should" when talking about yoga. It may be difficult to find a balance if it's something new. But perhaps with more practice, a natural rythum will emerge, based on your enjoyment and availability. The other option is being conscience about what it is you want from yoga: to obtain more sense of grounding, peace and harmony; or perhaps to feel more comfortable with asanas (a more literal comfort of the physical practice). There these questions, you'll better understand what it is you are seeking. All the best. Namaste
Bay Guy
Posted 2011-06-24 11:00 PM (#208780 - in reply to #125348)

Expert Yogi

Everyone has their own rhythm, I think. My practice is six days a week, usually about 1.5 hours, sometimes a bit more, sometimes (like when I am pressed for time by work etc) less. But what you are practicing - how much muscular effort, how much stretch, etc., each day, affects the next day. And so some days have to be lighter than others, or just different than the previous ones. For Ashtanga yoga in particular, I've found that regular practice is essential to building strength and to learning some of the more coordinated movements (e.g., Pincha Mayurasana to Chaturanga or simply Vrkshasana.).

...bg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)