YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anger and Meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

meditationman12
Posted 2010-10-29 4:40 PM (#125841)
Subject: Anger and Meditation

I've had an issue with anger in my life. I'm a lot better now, than I used to be, partly due to the detachment of my wellbeing to external stimuli that I've learned through studies of the human mind, yoga, and meditation.

What I've found, however, is that when I get disturbed while meditating, I get really REALLY angy , even if I was in a very peaceful state of mind while meditating.

We have a nice sized home, so it's not that difficult for me to get somewhere quiet to meditate, however, last night, I was meditating, and the cats were messing around with some cord, and they just kept making noises with it, in the next room over. I tried to relax and continue, but I gave up... I went in the room where they were and flung them into the wall, I was SO PISSED.

A few weeks ago, my wife walked into the room while I was meditating and I immediately got pissed. Don't worry, I didn't touch her

My question is, if I'm in such a tranquil and relaxing mood while meditating, what is it in my that triggers such anger when I'm interrupted?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-10-30 5:26 PM (#125858 - in reply to #125841)
Subject: RE: Anger and Meditation

You may want to discuss your anger problem with a doctor or a mental health professional. There are many possible reasons for your anger and for someone to diagnose the problem over the Internet on the basis of a single post would be absurd.

Remember that most anyone can be calm when sitting in a quite room, deeply breathing and meditating.

When you can be calm and still totally aware in the midst of noise, chaos, danger and physical discomfort, you have achieved true inner calm.

A primary goal of meditation is to develop a calm that you can bring into your daily life, rather than using it as a way of escaping life.

tourist
Posted 2010-10-31 10:51 AM (#125864 - in reply to #125841)

Expert Yogi

I don't know why it happens, but I have been told it is very common. My guess is that when you are in a meditative state, the usual thought processes and social behavioural restraints are dormant. It would make sense that the primitive, fight or flight part of the brain would kick in to protect someone in that state.

Posted 2010-11-02 1:02 AM (#125887 - in reply to #125841)

First allow me to qualify, I am only a student of yoga.

One important yoga practice is non-attachment, be an observer of the mind (like a bed of a deep ocean), where thoughts and emotions (like waves surface on top) rise and fall. We don’t want to turn a small wave into a tsunami, and create huge pain on top of existing pain.

May I try to interpret the situation using the Yoga Sutra II.3?

Avidyaa – lack of wisdom, not seeing things as they are [applies to all except for enlightened beings, the reason for yoga practice!]

Asmitaa – sense of “I”, egoism [nature should grant Me perfect peace for My meditation, anything else is unfair / unjust to Me]

Raaga – desire, passion, attachment [I Love My Meditation]

Dvesa – aversion [Must have quiet, NO NOISE, why are them doing things taking away My peace? But did you hear your internal Noise?]

Abhinivesaah – clinging to life, self-preservation [My Precious Life]

Klesaah – cause of suffering, hindrance, affliction [impression of cats flung on to the wall will cause further painful effects]

Hence, when disturbance comes, know that it is the mind that creates the disturbances. If we can deal with mind first (let the wave remains a wave), handle the situation in a calm manner, then go back to sitting, it would be a different scene.

Understand all experience is there for our learning… the next time when disturbance comes, it is the time for real yoga practice!!

Namaste

This is my helpful link:

http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/patanjali/raja_84.html

PART III: THE VIBHUTI PADA Chapter 84: The Need for Caution When Stirring Inner Potencies

Edited by antaraayaah 2010-11-02 1:07 AM
meditationman12
Posted 2010-11-02 4:45 PM (#125901 - in reply to #125841)
Subject: Re: Anger and Meditation

Thanks guys, and thanks for the link, antaraayaah. I already see a therapist once every two weeks or so. The overall anger in my life isn't as bad as it used to be, due partly to the therapy, however, when I'm disturbed while medatating, it comes back.

Posted 2010-11-02 11:59 PM (#125906 - in reply to #125901)

Did you mentioned your anger/reactions during meditation to the therapist? What is the advice given if any?

Please read the link carefully, there is much cautions on meditation for person who are not ready for the undertaking, it has dangerous consequences. Instead, focus on earlier rungs of yoga to built strong foundations.

Namaste

meditationman12
Posted 2010-11-03 5:32 PM (#125913 - in reply to #125841)

Thanks. I feel I'm ready for meditation, I just need to make sure I wear earplugs to block out potential noise, and let my wife know what I'm doing so that I'm not disturbed. Meditation has worked wonders for me thus far already.

I haven't mentioned it to my therapist, as I haven't been meditating long enough for me to remember when I go in for my next visit, but I will be sure to do so next time ( next week).

Posted 2010-11-03 9:58 PM (#125914 - in reply to #125913)

Glad to hear you found a workable and friendly solution!

I hope in time you will transform and desolve anger, which is one of the obstacle to Self-realization. By recognizing and aware of it's existence is good, as the next time when anger pops up, observe it, breath deep, it will be lessened and may be desolved without you acting-out. When anger subsides, meditate on the root cause (noise is the trigger, but what are the thoughts or feelings just before anger took over and control you?), through constant practice there is good chance you will be anger-free! I wish you speedy transformation.

Please keep posting on your progress, we have a lot to learn from your experience.

Namaste

Edited by antaraayaah 2010-11-03 10:01 PM
meditationman12
Posted 2010-11-04 4:15 PM (#125922 - in reply to #125841)

I shall! Thank you!

Hmmm, That's something I haven't thought of before, as far as noticing the thoughts or feelings that take place right before I get angry. Great stuff!
troytracon
Posted 2011-03-29 1:25 AM (#207995 - in reply to #125841)

A yoga practice is important is the detachment, to be an observer of the mind, where thoughts and emotions rise and fall. We do not want to turn a ripple into a tsunami, and create great pain on top of existing pain. We can definitely reduce anger with the help of Meditation.
lexuslelly
Posted 2011-04-04 3:27 AM (#208034 - in reply to #125841)

A yoga practice is important is the detachment, to be an observer of the mind, where thoughts and emotions rise and fall. Remember that most everyone can rest easy when sitting in a quiet, deep breathing and meditation.

Edited by lexuslelly 2011-04-04 3:28 AM
Dacite
Posted 2011-04-09 8:38 AM (#208088 - in reply to #125841)

Regular

You might have this tension addiction and that stimulates your fast unconscious responses.

In fact it might not to do with your mind but with your body. If your body has a lot of toxins, you might get toxic reactions. The most important is your liver, unhappy liver makes people into angry people. You body health and wellness is very important keeping peaceful mind and kind reactions.

I have lots of great natural health tips in my info site, see my profile if you are interested to learn.

ronaldalbert
Posted 2011-04-15 7:11 AM (#208143 - in reply to #125841)

Meditation is an special stage of mind. It will bring human in another world. Anger means your brain will not in our control. To stop this this thing meditation play an important role and providing strength to stable our mind in any situation.
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-04-13 10:44 PM (#211405 - in reply to #125841)

Veteran

Sometimes these negative thoughts about ourselves are not even conscious in us - basically we have just over time grown accustomed to being sick or injured. To antidote these negative thoughts, conscious or not, we say affirmations, i.e. we put positive thoughts in their place.
charliek
Posted 2015-05-17 5:10 PM (#212148 - in reply to #125841)

New User

I have some intense triggers myself. pretty tough to control. I think the best practice is to just identify the trigger afterwords and be mindful if it happens again.
japa.guru
Posted 2017-01-20 6:36 AM (#227266 - in reply to #125841)

New User

meditationman12 - 2010-10-29 9:40 PM

I've had an issue with anger in my life. I'm a lot better now, than I used to be, partly due to the detachment of my wellbeing to external stimuli that I've learned through studies of the human mind, yoga, and meditation.

What I've found, however, is that when I get disturbed while meditating, I get really REALLY angy , even if I was in a very peaceful state of mind while meditating.

We have a nice sized home, so it's not that difficult for me to get somewhere quiet to meditate, however, last night, I was meditating, and the cats were messing around with some cord, and they just kept making noises with it, in the next room over. I tried to relax and continue, but I gave up... I went in the room where they were and flung them into the wall, I was SO PISSED.

A few weeks ago, my wife walked into the room while I was meditating and I immediately got pissed. Don't worry, I didn't touch her

My question is, if I'm in such a tranquil and relaxing mood while meditating, what is it in my that triggers such anger when I'm interrupted?

We all react in such a way because we are reacting to the feeling that these emotions cause within us.
When you are being disturbed you will have a powerful sensation arise through your body - be it a drop in your stomach, heat all over your body, tingling, pulsing etc - over a lifetime we subconsciously react to these sensations. Such as unconsciously scratching an itch - these sensations will pass... none last forever.

So when you are meditating you are more aware of these sensations and feel them more deeply.

Try to just observe them and not react.

I hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)