YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sudden Knee Pain
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

fleximonkey
Posted 2010-11-12 12:10 PM (#126041)
Subject: Sudden Knee Pain

New User

I've been practicing for almost two years now, and I'm coming up on the end of a 60 day challenge. However, yesterday I had acute sudden knee pain in both of my knees that has continued since then, like when I'm sitting in a chair. I only felt it on floor bow, camel and the first two parts of head to knee with stretching pose. I've had problems with my knees before, stemming from a long history of running, lacrosse and volleyball, but they would typically bother me on the standing poses, like standing head to knee (no pain in these postures now).

I don't think it's muscular or a problem with the joint itself, but more like nerve pain. It's not super intense, but a brief stabbing pain in a pinpoint location at a constant interval. When I was in floor bow and camel, I literally had to fall out of the posture because of the sudden onset.

I haven't done anything unusual the past week and I felt really awesome in class last week. I suspect it might be that something is pinched in my hip and causing nerve pain to radiate into my knees when they are in certain positions.

Any ideas? Input is appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-11-12 7:09 PM (#126042 - in reply to #126041)
Subject: Re: Sudden Knee Pain

How weird! I wondered what happened to you in bow pose but I didn't get a chance to ask you about it. It was so crazy at the studio this week! We'll have to have a pow-wow about it at the potluck tomorrow. In the meantime, maybe someone around here will have some ideas to add...

Edited by thedancingj 2010-11-12 7:10 PM

Posted 2010-11-12 7:39 PM (#126043 - in reply to #126042)
Subject: Re: Sudden Knee Pain

i will sometimes get knee pain in backbends on my left side. i strained my IT band on that side long ago (supposedly) and can feel it pulling in the knee structure.
look at the interaction between the foot, knee and hip. you may require a different rotation in your thigh and i suspect your foot may sickle inwards during these poses. perhaps try pointing your feet straight back and lifting your thighs and hips up off of the knee. go only to the point where you start to feel the pain and then stop and adjust.
it is likely something you will have to deal with as this issue works itself out. you will likely have better luck working on it in camel, as your feet and shins have the direct feedback of the ground.
a quick fix could be to widen your knees slightly but that would not address the issue directly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)