YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frustrated with my studio
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

saigon71
Posted 2010-11-14 7:14 PM (#126076)
Subject: Frustrated with my studio

We usually do 10 pranayama breaths in each set (standard, right?) and today the instructor added 2 extra to each set. It totally threw me off.

Then the heat was blazing. The read on the the thermostat was 49 Celsius which is near 120 Farenheit.

I totally ran out off steam, I almost fell over in standing head to knee, I had to skip sit-ups - it was a very disheartening experience.

I really feel strong in my practice, but I want to do Bikram yoga not whatever the instructor feels like. I thought the room should be 105 F and you stick to the dialogue, is there this much wiggle room in the franchise agreement?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-11-14 11:08 PM (#126081 - in reply to #126076)
Subject: RE: Frustrated with my studio

Jeez, Saigon, sounds like a hot and frustrating class. I totally understand, especially after the doozy I had last week.

I've noticed that my studio's teachers play around with pranyama breathing a bit. I *think.* Usually I'm so into it I don't count, but I know one teacher who seems to do fewer on the first set and more on the second. Another seems to do more period, and another totally rushes and I can barely keep up. Oh well, it's an exercise in patience, I guess.

I feel ya on the excessive heat, though, but maybe it's a fluke that's a good reminder to work on rolling with the punches. Does your studio's heat usually fluctuate like that? Or was this an aberration? I've noticed my studio's heat fluctuates a LOT. Sometimes, an extra-hot class like that kills me. Sometimes, I surprise myself by how I can take it. Heck, I even have "cool" classes that will get to me! I think that if it's an aberration and not some new philosophy being implemented, I'd try to roll with it and see it as part of the practice.

Just my $.02! I'm sure others have better insights.
saigon71
Posted 2010-11-15 7:26 AM (#126095 - in reply to #126076)
Subject: Re: Frustrated with my studio

Thanks for your thoughts. I am going through a tough time right now and I went to 2 really tough consecutive classes to try to break through my personal hell. It just felt like a kick in the teeth. I think a few of the instructors have decided that classes should be held at 120 + and I literally ran out of sweat (I don't think I had fully recovered from the day before). I am thinking of driving a little further to go to a studio that everyone says isn't as hot.

I just feel like if I can't do part of the class due to heat exhaustion, what is the point?

Posted 2010-11-15 8:22 PM (#126098 - in reply to #126076)

No problem. And not to respond with a big blog-pimpin' reply, but I JUST wrote about a class like that last week. It can be so tempting to judge ourselves further for having a "bad" class.

I think we should be especially delicate with ourselves when judging our practices when we're going through tough times. Everything is reflected in the yoga room. And heck, even when I thought I was tip-top all around, I've had classes where I sat out four or five entire postures at a time. I figure, if I stay in the room for most of class and try most of the poses, I bet I'm doing much more good than being at home on the couch!
Andre
Posted 2010-11-17 12:27 AM (#126113 - in reply to #126076)

Extreme Veteran

I practiced at a Core Power Yoga once (same sequence, no dialogue), and the room was up to 114. It was ridiculous. Plus, my studio is probably a couple of degrees cooler than many at 100-102. I just don’t think it needs to be any hotter than that. I’ve heard stories of teacher training getting to that heat, and I’m glad I never went, for that reason alone.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)